Fitting Steering Guard

ludylandy

Was given a rebel 4x4 steering guard for the 2a as a Christmas present. I offered it up to the vehicle yesterday and couldn't obviously see where best to fit it. Called rebel 4x4 this morning and they were less than helpful in providing any advice.

Would be grateful if someone could explain how they've fitted theirs or post a pic before I get a big drill out.

Adrian

Was given a rebel 4x4 steering guard for the 2a as a Christmas present. I offered it up to the vehicle yesterday and couldn't obviously see where best to fit it. Called rebel 4x4 this morning and they were less than helpful in providing any advice.

Would be grateful if someone could explain how they've fitted theirs or post a pic before I get a big drill out.

Adrian

ive got one fitted to my swb i eneded up drilling holes into the front spring hangers as that was the only way i could it fitted and using high tensile bolts to hold it in place

The large holes are for the spring bolts. You need to drill holes in the spring hangers to align with the small bolt holes in the corners of the guard.

You may need to use spacers between the guard and the dumb irons as most series guards are much narrower than the space they fit. Spring shackles happen to be just the right thickness and of course already have a bolt hole in them. You will also need rear-of-spring bolt which are longer than the front spring eye bolts as they have to go through two shackle plates. this will allow for the thickness of the spacer and the diff guard itself.

Do not use the spring bolts. The guard should sit above these. On mine there was at least one hole that was already there from the factory. However repair sections do not have these holes in. Fit the guard above/behind the spring bolt, and you'll see the "arms" follow the profile of the chassis. Then simply drill throught the chassis rails and bolt it up with M10 bolts.

Jon