Battery Light & Temp Gauge woes

Hi chaps

I have just completed some work on me 300tdi def. I had me head skimmed, new Rad, new Water pump and new senders and oil thermostat plus pipes to cooler.

Just put the new juice and coolant in and went to start her up.

First problem is when turning the key to ignition/glow plug, the temp gauge shot up to max. I put the old sender back on and the same happened. I took the sender out of the housing and connected it up to the wire and this stops the problem. Whats that all about?

So....decided to turn the old girl over. Once the fuel got up the pipes she fired up lovely. Only problem is the damn battery light will not go off.

I cant for the life of me think what I have missed. The only electrics I have touched whilst doing all the work is changing the temp sender, oil pressure switch and I replaced the whatsit switch on the top/middle of the head. I went know where near the one year old alternator so I'm stumped as to what it is.

Anyone got any ideas.

thanks

The only electrics I have touched whilst doing all the work is changing the temp sender, oil pressure switch and I replaced the whatsit switch on the top/middle of the head.

are the temp gauge sender & EGR sender in cylinder head connected to the correct wires ?

Westerns idea would be my guess. I made a similar mistake with my wires.

Battery wire and temp wire connected wrong way round possibly?

The temp sender is a heat sensitive resistor that progressivly earths the wire. So removing from the block means it can't earth no matter what its resistance. Touch the wire on the block the needle will shoot up to max. That proves you have the correct wire. Just unplug it from the sender and earth it,,,needle will go up to max.

You've not mixed the fuel solenoid stop (or oil temp sender) and water temp sender wires up have you ? They are near to each other........