D1 Swivel housing to axle case torque

The swivel bearing housing is fitted to the axle case with 7 bolts. They are not accessible with a socket, only a ring spanner. My question is, when it comes to reassembling, how do I tighten the bolts to the correct torque of 73 Nm??? Hope to recieve some replies!

That's what I'm planning to do, unless there is another way of doing it. Will add lots of loctite!

Look at Les's how to's to see how you can get extra leavage etc... dont just do them up with one spanner as it most likely wont be tight enough - and as the 7 bolts are the only thing thats holds the wheel on care is needed!!!!

Thanks, I agree, its quite important because the whole wheel is held by those seven bolts. I'm quite new to the forum so I don't really understand what 'Lee's how to' means or where to look for it? :blink:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=5601

How to by Les Henson, one of the forum's top tech people.

For these bolts, I have a special 14mm spanner for the job. By special I mean I cut the open end off it so I can slide an 18" length of tube over and give it some welly with that :P

Don't forget the Loctite, as you say :)

Thanks a lot! Great article and description of the whole job. Doing exactly that at the moment so has come in very handy. Nice 'trick' with the two spanners. Only thing that struck me was the two brake pipes going to the calipers!!!? Mine only has one? :unsure:

Nevertheless, thanks again for the link!

If hey aren't finger tight by half way out then I undo all of them, that allows the swivel to wobble a bit and gives more clearance.

And as said use threadlock. not only does it stop them coming loose (we found this on a V8, tightening them up really sharpened up the steering :huh: ) but it also seals the thread and keeps out corrosion, if applied correctly.

Easy to get a ratchet spanner stuck when removing the swivels, but my Halford's one works a treat for this job!

You do have to be equally careful not to overtighten bolts, which would be my concern with an 18" bar. I should have mentioned that I check these bolts regularly on the racer, in fact after most stages, but you won't be doing that on a road car!