Steering Issues

lawrence

I have more play in my steering than is good for any car. Now i've been told that my tyres(insa Special track at 235/85) will be making this worse but is there anyway i can reduce the amount of play. I can ,move the wheel between 10 and 2 on a clock dial with little movement of the actual car wheels. Or do i just fit a new steering pump. If so how much work is it to change.

Sorry for lots of quextions any help will be most appreciated.

have you got Rave? if so, have a look in there under the steering section, as it is possible to adjust some of the play out of the steering box using the large nut and allen key on the top.

also check all your steering joints, with the weight of the vehicle on the wheels, but the engine off, this will show if there are any problems with the track rod ends etc....and don't forget the steering u/j's, a small amount of play in any of those parts can cause quite a lot of play when travelling in a straight-ish line.

Also check the panhard rod bushes, and the radius arm bushes as well.

The steering pump is one of the few things that won't affect play in the system :unsure:

You need an assistant to rock the steering wheel back & forth while you follow the mechanical linkage from steering column all the way to the wheels, checking for play at each joint in the system. You have 2 column UJ's, steering box, drop arm, and track rod ends plus panhard bushes which can cause wandering steering.

I've had a look at adjusting the nut but can't get the allen key to turn at all. Its a bit tight down there so can't put a lot of force to turn the key at all. All bushes seem fine with hardley any play. had them all checked over when the MOT was down a few months ago.

The allen stud will only turn once you have loosened the large lock nut surrounding it, it should move freely then, however, I think you should be looking elsewhere before attempting this, the steering joints, bushes and UJs are far more likely to be the cause IMHO.

You can of course check the play in the box, by watching the input and output shaft whilst rocking the steering, but as above, get a mate to help you, and you will probably find the problem pretty quickly.

BTW, tyres shouldn't make the mechanics of the steering any different, only the 'feel' and vagueness whilst in a straight line and moving.