Discovery 110 brake conversion/upgrade

Maybe this topic has been up before, but I am planning to upgrade the brakes on my 1997 Discovery tdi. As standard its got solid discs, 4 pot calipers and a single pipe brake line system. Upgraded calipers (to vented) requires twin pipe input and won't work without plumming in pipes and a different brake master cylinder (not keen on that).

I've heard about conversions usings Defender 110 brake calipers (larger than disco), disco discs and 110 pads (larger), but is this a straight swap? Will it work? Would love to hear from anyone with experience of this!

I know a couple of guys who have done it no problems. Nothing needs to be machined, modified or fabricated. It's also a favourite on 90's.

There's a guy round here who sells second hand parts that will swop the calipers for nothing as the Disco caliper is worth more to him than a 110 one.

Thanks for your reply! I've since 'discovered' that although its a straight swap, the 110 caliper pistons are larger and will therefore require the brake master cylinder to work harder resulting in increased pedal travel. Don't really want to get into changing that too. Got to stop somewhere and get the damn thing on the road at some point soon. Sounds like a nice upgrade especially as I do quite a lot of mountain driving (auto) and my brakes reguarly overheat. I'm bringing the car out to Italy, where I got comformaty issues when it comes to registring the car, so I guess its not worth it at this point. Thanks again!

My mate bought a spacer kit for his callipers and fitted vented disks. The casting is identical on single and dual circuits and the vented callipers all have spcers fitted. Kit form the bay IIRC

Also the 110 callipers I have don't look wide enough for vented disks, but I may be wrong. I bought them for a RRC though and they don't have dual circuit so not much use.

You are right, I could fit a spacer, but the advice is not to split the calipers (not sure why, but think that has something to do with the seal). I've decided to keep things simple and just overhaul my existing calipers with a repair kit as upon inspection, at least two pistons where sticking which would explain some of the overheating I've had.

You are right, I could fit a spacer, but the advice is not to split the calipers (not sure why, but think that has something to do with the seal). I've decided to keep things simple and just overhaul my existing calipers with a repair kit as upon inspection, at least two pistons where sticking which would explain some of the overheating I've had.

Have a look at this thread http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=63169 , more a cost issue than a safety issue

I've just finished this conversion on my Disco.

So far the results are stunning!

The peddle doesn't have any more travel, so result there. The pads are a lot bigger, and although they are still bedding in they have far more bite than before.

I appreciate that my old brakes might have not been at there best but they had just past an MOT.

I've also replaced all the copper brake pipes on the rear axle with braided hose, the hose runs from the t piece by the diff and travels along the axle and goes into the calliper using a banjo fitting, like on a motor bike. Also I've used braided hose on the fronts and done away with the small copper pipe by going direct to the calliper with another banjo style fitting.

So far so good, going to take it to a friendly Mot place tomorrow and have them put it on there brake tester and check there all working OK and also see if he is happy with what I've done.

Andy

• 1 year later...