RRC coolant

Cynic-al

The 3.5EFI was pretty tired in the RRC so I swapped it for a 3.9. Since then i've noticed it slowly looses its coolant from the header tank through the overflow pipe, over time its got worse to the point where now its spitting it out pretty quickly. The radiator seems to stay full. When running it sits at a half unless you really work it where it goes to just under red and doesn't come back unless you leave it stopped for a while.

Any ideas?

do the hoses go harder than normal? sounds like either a dodgy thermostat, knackered/blocked rad/water pump, or worse case head gasket :(

the water coming out of the overflow is because of the system pressurising, get the header tank "sniff" tested for combustion gasses. is there ant residue on the oil filler cap, or oily film in the header tank?

Hi, oil and water clean, pressure cap already replaced. The engine came out of a disco but i assume the pressure cap is the same? Could be water pump as the pulley was broken when I got the 3.9 so I swapped for the pump off the 3.5 but there was some light scoring at the back of the pump. Any ideas of an easy way to test?

Not sure the cap on your expansion tank is the same as it would be on a 3.5 ?

Are you leaving the expansion tank kinda half empty? Allowing for expansion?

Mines had a faulty cap on it and was losing water which was worrying as it could have been the head gasket alright.