Head gasket?

Hi All

I hope every is well, just wanted to ask a silly question, what are the typical symptoms when a head gasket has gone?

my landie is has gone pretty noisy (2.5TD 1986) but not sure whats happened, i didn't loose any power at the time i notice the extra sound coming from my engine the only reason i mention the head gasket is oil, i appear to be burning more than usual

ideas would be welcome

Cheers

Dan

To think of a few:

Lots of white smoke / steam

Oil in the water / water in the oil & emulsification of both

They tend to be quite obvious symptoms rather than something subtle like a 5% power drop.

If they are not obvious, they soon will be.

Apart from a bit of labour, it is not the end of the world to fix (unless the head has become warped from overheating.)

Reckon a piston ring has gone perhaps. Could explaing the noise to some extent. You're burning oil by the sound of it and these engines are renowned for knackered rings or cracked pistons. Mine did this (led to me replacing it). Made a right clatter, i thought it was a dodgy injector (but they were moved to another engine eventually and worked fine). I gave up on the td then and fitted a 200tdi.