mystery clunk: be gone at last

rusty94disco

hurray after years of mystery small clunk almost every gear change in my 94 300tdi now @ 152,000

It's gone :D and the disco is so much much smoother and quieter and a with marked reduction in drive train vibration.

last week a sudden very bad vibration led to the changing of the front propshaft transfer box end uj after 1 of the little bearings self destructed

imagine my surprise on the test run afterwards that the mystery clunk had gone.

honest guv: i"ve greased the propshafts as per service rules and inspected them fairly often and never found any freeplay or obvious problem

so there's a lesson learned: just because it looks ok if you suspect it then replace it. (i bought the uj's about a year ago just in case considering the mileage )

BTW this job would have been almost impossible without the propshaft tool even then it's an medium pain to do.

i also replaced both rear roll bar links and that's got rid of another clunk at the rear end. i've still got the rubber donut to do as it showing some small splits in it.

(how many times do you have to explain to the sudoeco mafia: that yes my car costs more in fuel than the average 4 wheel box but i'm not paying out £200+ per month to hire it from the loan company every month before putting fuel in BTW how many new cars have you had since mine was built 16years ago: and thier faces are shut: engaging smug mode:lol:

The transfer box end on the front propshaft is always the first to go. It's due to the angle of the dangle I reckon. So if you only have time to grease one UJ, then do that one. The same applies to all Defenders.

That and coupled to the fact that it faces forwards so with its angle it's open to a lot of road and off road going **** that we all travel through.