rear wiper

If the spare tyre is touching the wiper arm, you can adjust the 3 nuts so the wheel/tyre sits slightly further away from the wiper arm/shaft.

IIRC I used some 3 in 1 light oil on my rear wiper when I had a similar fault [but not popping the fuses]

I removed the motor from the door so the oil would run around the shaft & not just drip out onto the floor.

That wiper motor which looks simple - is actually quite complicated! I rigged up one on mine where there wasnt one before and it gave me all sorts of fun and games! The bit i didnt bank on is that it has "regenerative earth braking" according to Joeseph Lucas the prince of darkness! What this means is that you shove a 12 v pulse down the wire to start it and then the 12 v permanent feed carries it full the full stroke to park. What I didnt know is that at the end of the stroke a little nylon cam raises a contact and put the motor to earth to stop the motor sharply in the correct parking position. If this cam is cracked - and a lot are, you can have all sorts of shorting issues. Interestingly - if you dont have the earth braking bit connected, when the window is very wet, the wiper just keeps on going and going!