Rear Cross Member

katluke

I have started to strip the rear floor out from my Discovery and it looks like I am going to have to replace the rear cross member aswell.I have read a few times on here that it is better to make it from heavier box section than to fit a pattern part.I am just wondering what size box section people would recommend to use and also any tips/best way to go about it ? Thanks for any replys.

I've just done mine, and it's not a huge job.

I used 2x4 3mm box section, capped the ends, cut out the existing crossmember, slotted the box into place, and welded it in.

It sounds a bit daunting, but once you've cut the old one out, it all becomes cleared, and you have a better idea of what to do, it just looks a bit tricky with all the old steel in place.

Si

It's easier to do than the sills, as it's higher up, so there's no need to be lying on your back in the mud like a dirty turnip :-)

Correct about the box section taking the heat better than whatever body steel you're left with, start your run on the box, with a fairly high heat, the body will take it provided you don't hang about. (if you scribe a line across the old crossmember, level with the rear door, and cut off everything aft of that, it leaves a nice "pocket" to slide your box section into, clamp up, and weld in.

Hope this helps,

Si