very odd MS behavior

Davecrx

Hi

Firstly running MS on my v8 has transformed the engine which has made me :D

Only thing that seems to be a bit dodgy is every now and then i'll turn on the cars ignition but i have no fuel pump prime as well as the MS not even turning on.. No amount of switching on and off the ignition will turn it on.

I checked all the wires going to and from the MS and see nothing wrong, relays are all working fine as well.

The thing that makes it a odd problem is the way to make it all come alive, All i have to do is unplug the looms multi pin connector from the MS ecu and then plug it back in, as soon as i do that its all fine.

So if any of you lot have any ideas on how to fix this problem it will be great

Thanks Dave

Probably some contamination on the DB37 pins, I've seen similar occur when I've been a bit over zealous with the protective lacquer after final assembly of the board. I started plugging an old connector into both DB ports before spraying a few years ago after tracking an intermittent fault back to this.

Is the connector fully tightened home with fixing screws or just pushed in ?

Probably some contamination on the DB37 pins, I've seen similar occur when I've been a bit over zealous with the protective lacquer after final assembly of the board. I started plugging an old connector into both DB ports before spraying a few years ago after tracking an intermittent fault back to this.

Is the connector fully tightened home with fixing screws or just pushed in ?

The pins are not contaminated which is one of the first things i check as i thought i might of over done it :unsure:

As for the connector it was fully tightened but as i have to unplug it every now and then i have left it just pushed in.

Also i would like to add it only does it on start up (as in from ignition off) never from a restart after stalling and never cuts out when the engine is running.

Ignoring the fuel pump prime (if the pump relay is driven by the MS then it will do nowt until the MS wakes up) if you've not got 12v and ground going to the MS then it won't power up, simple as. So, have a check through the loom (unplugging & re-plugging could just be moving a dodgy connection further down), check the connector (unscrew the shell & look at the wires) and maybe for next time take the lid off the MS so you can measure the incoming 12v feed to see if the power is making it onto the board (or even solder a 12v LED across the supply on the board). The answer to that will determine how to proceed.

I've had a few where minuscule contamination of solder flux, dirt or moisture in the wrong place can cause the CPU not to start, usually on the crystal oscillator circuit. It needs to be clean, well-soldered, and dry (no condensation on the board).