rear end buzzing sound TD5 ?

Sounds like the fuel-pump. I've had recent experience of this: my D90 [2001, 90,000 miles] started whining from the rear end [noise like a cat in a blender] - then it started making gurgling sounds when starting from cold, occasionally lost power, cut out at random and eventually complete failure-to-start.

Initial diagnosis was a failed fuel-pump. A new genuine Land-Rover fuel pump was fitted: still the same whining/gurgling noises from the rear and cutting-out after a few miles. A second new pump was fitted - same symptoms.

Eventually diagnosed to failure of the copper head-to-injector seals, allowing combustion-chamber gases past and into the fuel-system. Replacing the washers [less than £10 for five] fixed the problem!

If your TD5 has been quietly enduring this malady for a while, the leaking combustion-gases will have dumped a mess of combustion-carbon and other crud back into the fuel tank via the bleed-off circuit. Fixing the injector-seals alone is not enough - you need to drop the fuel tank and clean it out [jet-wash then rinse inside with clean diesel] internally, also clean the fuel-pump intake screen [the screaming/whining noise you hear from the rear is the pump desperately trying to suck fuel through a clogged intake screen] and change the fuel-filter too. Given the labour-cost to drop the tank, I'd suggest replacing the fuel-pump anyway - it's £250 for a new one and it would be a pity to have it all put back together after cleaning only to find the pump dies from its previous overwork after a short time.

the buzzing is not loud. theres no gurgling or cat in blender type of noise.. if i turn the ign on without starting i can hear a relay click after about 30 seconds and the sound stops..is this normal? :rolleyes: but as soon as the engine starts so does the buzzing ? theres no loss of power or stalling in fact it runs perfect.. whats worrying me is how long for!! would the fact it needs a new fuel pressure regulator have any bearing on problem ? its been leaking for a while now and ive had no time to fit a new one. :rolleyes:

the buzzing is not loud. theres no gurgling or cat in blender type of noise.. if i turn the ign on without starting i can hear a relay click after about 30 seconds and the sound stops..is this normal? :rolleyes: but as soon as the engine starts so does the buzzing ? theres no loss of power or stalling in fact it runs perfect.. whats worrying me is how long for!! would the fact it needs a new fuel pressure regulator have any bearing on problem ? its been leaking for a while now and ive had no time to fit a new one. :rolleyes:

So a buzzing noise from the FUEL TANK area where the FUEL PUMP lives, plus a knackered FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR and you're asking what on earth the noise could be?

I reckon it's your headlight levelling motors :rolleyes:

OK, before you diamantle your headlights, try FIXING THE REGULATOR and see if it still does it <_<

I don't mean to sound jaded and cynical, but I am so that's how it comes across :P

I was merely emphasising the point that it would be helpful, when asking for people's help and advice, to include information such as known faults with the vehicle. That makes everyone's life much easier (unwanted noise + known fault = probable cause).