Fuel filters - Tdi fit a TD5?

Cartman

Just wondering and I am sure I saw a post somewhere to say that the 200/300tdi filter without the water sensor fitting at the base will spin onto a TD5 fuel filter head. Anyone found this to be the case? Reason being OEM LR/Bosch tdi filters are a lot cheaper than TD5 ones if you are not bothered with the water sensor.

should do. according to my filter book they have the same thread.

as a side note, the same filter for the tdi fits a case tractor - and the case dealer sells them for £19 + vat, needless to say, i'm now selling loads to the local farmers at nearly a 1/4 of the price :)

i was getting filters for my 200tdi defender from halfords 3.50 each for fuel and oil filter with trade card isnt bad but they dont list for td5 as i wanted a fuel filter for one of thoes as well

my td5 dont have the water sensor in the bottom either

They are the same physical fitting but I seem to recall seeing somewhere that the Td5 one has finer filtration probably due to the EUI's being a bit more particular about poo in the fuel than the old Tdi sludge pump, hence the silly price for the Genuine parts. New Td5 injectors are quite expensive too, not sure if it is an economy I would make :unsure:

I needed a fuel filter for my 200tdi 90 in a hurry and had a service kit for the wifes td5 disco standing by so I robbed the Mahle fuel filter and fitted it to the 90 and it worked a treat for a month before I started having fuel starvation issues, the filter was full of sludge and the only thing I can put it down to is finer filtration and the 90 tank having crud in it that don't normally get stopped by the normal filter, needless to say I flushed the tank before changing back to the right filter.