Terminal?

bobed90

Im having issues with one of the works 300tdi's. It has a lot of pressure in the exspansion bottle causing a steady drip out of the overflow or a mass escape of water when i open the cap. It is not overheating at all and the radiator barely gets hot. I have also got oil coming out of the joint between the exhaust manifold and the exhaust :blink: There is no mayo on the cap and no excessive smoke and it has plenty of power. I have recently fitted a new water pump and thermostat and the water ways looked nice a clear with no gunge in them. I believe the headgasket was changed around 2 years ago but it has only done at the most 2000 miles since then. Any ideas as to what is causing the issues and how easy it would be to make repairs? I need to get it fully opperational by next saturday!

Thanks Jason

Head gasket between a waterway and cylinder? That's what I had on an old Frontera - it eventually caused so much pressure the expansion tank let go (in quite spectacular fashion!)

It still had reasonable power for what it was - and no mayo in the filler cap etc either... just massive amounts of pressure in the collant system and always overheating

So its possible that the head gasket has failed again :( What would cause the oil out of the exhaust joint though? it really is dripping down. looks like this is going to be another disco off to the breakers! I now need to find another 300tdi disco very cheap in lincolnshire by next saturday :rolleyes: it wont be worth doing the head again as the body work is about knackered.

thanks Jason

I only replaced the water pump and thermostat 2 weeks ago so an air lock is a possibility.I also had to replace the plastic filler plug in the thermostat housing as someone had previously stripped the threads and siliconed the plug in. Im still concerned with the oil coming out of the exhaust joint though. The vehicle is used for maybe 2 hours per week on our offroad course so is not worked hard.

I ran it for about 10 minutes today and when i removed the oil filler cap it was giving of oil vapour. I have taken the rocker cover off today ready to check the valve clearances as it is quite noisy at the moment. I have cleaned the cyclone breather out too, which had a lot of oil deposits in. I will put it back together tomorrow with new gaskets and see if it works.

Jason

I have now taken off the exhaust and inlet manifold, the gasket was fine but there was oil in the back exhaust port. Is it likely that the head gasket has failed forcing the oil out of the exhaust? or is it the rings that are causing the issue? any advice on this would be much appreciated! I normally avoid pulling engines apart, bolting new bits on is always much easier :D

thanks Jason