Helmets

zim

Evening,

From the other thread :

Hi Gordon

Helmet spec as follows:

The helmet must conform to the current MSA regulations listed in the ‘Blue Book’ [C©90]. You must use a helmet with a fire resistant lining, the label will read B.S.6658-85 A F/R and is red in colour or Snell SA2000, these are the two most common standards for motor sports crash helmets. The full list is in the MSA Blue Book, do not accept any other.

On page 164ish, they start talking about them - http://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/msa_forms/bluebooks/11/152-190%20Competitor%20Safety.pdf

Could someone please explain to me the ins and outs about helmets.

- Do they have an age limit ?

- Are some types being removed at the end of the year sort of thing ?

Just wondering, as i need to buy 2 and don't want to get something that'll only last a season or two.

Sorry if i keep on asking, i just don't wish to make a mistake (financially!). We use radio intercom so that pushes the price up.

Regards

Gordon

I think the BS standard is being phased out by 2015 for motorsport use. As far as I am aware, there is no check of the age of a helmet for cross country & off road events, same for harnesses. There may be for international or national speed events.

Hedtec helmets seem OK for £109. They are Snell SA2005 standard and fire proof lining. I bought a couple for a friend and had a good look at them. they seem to be identical to the Bell open face helmet, down to the same marks internally, so i'm guessing international epsionage.

To quote the Blue Book... 'helmet standards are regularly reviewed and updated, and superceded. Standards will periodically cease to be acceptable, hence an element of 'lifing' will always remain.'

As stated the BS6658 Type AF/R MAY be withdrawn with effect from 2016 and Snell SA2000 MAY be withdrawn from 2015.

So one of these will give you a minimum 5 year lifespan if looked after and never called into play.

A Snell 2005 or 2010 will subsequently last longer.

If the helmet -is- called into play, it should be considered junk whether it appears damaged or not.

I think the Snell rating is updated every 5 years. In the States, most organisations required either the current or last Snell standard (giving a max helmet life of 10 years).

Belts, on the other hand, were dated. IIRC they needed to be within 3 years of their manufacture date.

Jeff.