1994 200tdi no power

nino

inly recentley ive notices my 200tdi to be lacking in power and dying on slight hills that you find ion the motorways

on the m3 from london to fleet it sits happy at 60-65 after it took a wile to get there but when i get to the slight hills before fleet services it slows right down to 50-55 with the need to drop in 4th or even 3rd??

there is turbo whistle that hasnt changed in the last few weeks, theres no split pipes or loose jublee clips on the inlet side it doesnt smoke under load

the fuel filter is a new one, the air filter is a k&n cleaned out last weekend, the fuel lines have been blown back from filter to tank and filter to main pump

what i did notice is the fuel lift pump wasnt working but have changed this and still no difference#

im just running out on things that i need to check on cuch a simple engine

any ideas??

one last thing, for the last 6 weeks i have been running on water contaminated diesel filtered through a mr funnel funnel filter. last weekend i got a full tank from a petrol station and thats when the problem started

i know the discoverys have but lookin at the defender there dont seem to be one, i was goin to fit one inline but the state of the bulkhead i didnt want to take the filterhousing off and not be able to put it back on as the bolts would rip the bulkhead lol

its a new sender unit 2000miles/2 months ago and only saturday before i refitted a new fuel filter i blew he pipe back, there is good flow as i forgot to take the cap off and the tank built up pressure and rebled the pipe back to the filter lol

If you can get hold of-ie borrow a set of injectors then I would try those as it sounds very like a similar problem I had when my injectors were worn out on my 200 tdi 90, It would die on hills and also when I let the accelerator pedal up slightly the power did increase again, I swapped out my tired old ones for some others I had lying about and that did make a hell of a difference, I then had the original set re-conned and that was even better

HTH

What fuel are you using as I have found in the past that TDI don't like super market fuel as it is low in sulphur and cause the fuel pump to start to freeze up but before that it makes the car feel sluggish on hills and has no tourqe.

Need to get a fuel additive that adds the sulphur and normally they have injector cleaners too

You will Find this helps your TDI I used to use millers in the Uk and found it great stuff and made a he'll of a difference. . Now I am in Aus I don't need it as fuel is cheap so don't need to buy cheap fuel from super markets

If you can get hold of-ie borrow a set of injectors then I would try those as it sounds very like a similar problem I had when my injectors were worn out on my 200 tdi 90, It would die on hills and also when I let the accelerator pedal up slightly the power did increase again, I swapped out my tired old ones for some others I had lying about and that did make a hell of a difference, I then had the original set re-conned and that was even better

HTH

I think this post is worth taking notice of. I believe my '92 200tdi could do with the injectors having a good service/clean.