disco v8 auto into def90

Hi all

my friend has currently got a mint d90 200tdi on galv chassis

problem is he is used to sporty cars and wants more go

he would also like a auto box too

so my thinking was to maybe get hold of a old rotten v8 auto disco (shouldnt be too hard lol)

and drop the engine/box/t box and disco axles into the defender

so my questions are what pit falls are there to doing this?

does anyone know of anyone in lancashire that could do the work (my friend is a spanner spaz and im 300 miles away so giving him a hand wont be easy)

and before anyone says tune up the tdi it will never sound like a v8 and thats enough of a reason for him lolol

Rob

He'll get a fair bit back on the tdi set up for starters,easily sell that on.

first off are the engine mounts(gearbox are the same).exhaust system.probably front prop.

depends if it on carbs or efi,but wiring up.he'll only need 1 wird if it's carbed.

also i'd rebuild the block (about £2-400).

i did my 90 with a 3.9 ,5spd,weber 500 carb.sounded awesome and shifted.if he's going to do it,do it properly.

I'd megasquirt it. :P if you must go carbs, go standard, I've had holley & weber and they're w***k, and even flapper EFI blows them into the weeds.

Build-wise, you're into engine & possibly transmission mounts which means cutting into your nice galv chassis & grinding the galv away to clean metal before anything can be welded on (welding galv doesn't work and will give off poisonous fumes). Then it's a matter of joining wires & controls up, plus plumbing (air, fuel, water, oil, PAS, gearbox oil/cooler), ditch the intercooler, fit a bigger rad (no the disco/rr one won't fit), probably electric fan(s) and X-Switch. Fuel-wise, you either need a facet pump (carbs) or a good high-pressure pump (EFI) and associated filter(s) and pickup & return to the tank. You may need a remote oil filter kit. If it doesn't have discs all round, fit a disc braked axle on the back, you'll thank me at the first corner ;)

Temperature gauge and rev counter may need frigging too, either wiring-wise or sender-wise, and the insurance co will need telling.

Depending on how much of a lead-footed oaf he is he may break more stuff off-road too.

If done properly it would be a right hoot, done badly it would be a complete pigdog and he'd have ruined a good 90.

On the plus-side, should get some cash back for a genuine Defender 200TDi lump+box complete.

thanks chaps

off road wont be a issue unless you mean his driveway lol

its more a toy to him that he loves along with the v8 sound track of course

for ease of install would prob go carbs unless whoever he gets to do the work is happy to wire up the efi/mega squirt/jolt

would the disco axles drop straight under the 90? (thinking it would be easyer to the axles are up to it)

and what sort of money would a 200tdi complete set up fetch (engine/lt77/rad/intercooler etc etc) fetch?? (this will have a good bearing on if he gets this done or not)

Rob