DII SRS ECU

Darren

The air bag system on my wifes' DII is FUBAR and diagnostics suggest it's either a wiring fault or an ECU problem. On the basis that it'll be easier to eliminate, I've bought a replacement ECU from eBay to swap out. Before I go hunting behind all the dashboard trim, can anybody tell me where it is?

Also, do I need to take any special precautions when changing it like disconnecting the battery, or is it as simple as unplugging the old and plugging in the new?

Thanks in advance.

The air bag system on my wifes' DII is FUBAR and diagnostics suggest it's either a wiring fault or an ECU problem. On the basis that it'll be easier to eliminate, I've bought a replacement ECU from eBay to swap out. Before I go hunting behind all the dashboard trim, can anybody tell me where it is?

Also, do I need to take any special precautions when changing it like disconnecting the battery, or is it as simple as unplugging the old and plugging in the new?

Thanks in advance.

It's under the centre console -

C0256-AirbagECU.jpg

The Workshop Manual says to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes before unplugging the ECU -

AirbagECU.jpg

What faults are you seeing? The only problem I've ever seen on any LR airbag system is the rotary coupler in the steering wheel and all will go eventually regardless of model, I've seen 2 or 3 now I think. It usually shows as being an open circuit on the airbag and a new one is about £200 but you can't repair it AFAIK.

You certainly need to disconnect the battery and leave the system to discharge before touching anything. I suspect you've also got to plug it into Testbook for a chat as well but as I've never needed to change an airbag ECU in anything I'm not sure.

It's under the centre console -

Thanks Paul, that's great. Didn't realise it would be quite so involved, but ho hum.

What faults are you seeing? The only problem I've ever seen on any LR airbag system is the rotary coupler in the steering wheel and all will go eventually regardless of model, I've seen 2 or 3 now I think. It usually shows as being an open circuit on the airbag and a new one is about £200 but you can't repair it AFAIK.

I haven't got the details, to be honest. It was how it was reported to me by the garage that does our servicing as their interpretation of the Autologic output. The only way they could see of resolving it was either expensive component replacement or time consuming wiring testing. I'm starting with the ecu as the cheapest and easiest part to do. Although I may regret the latter having seen Pauls' post above :)