hydraulic superwinch motor replacement?

flash42

hi there,

ive just bought a hydraulic superwinch kit for my defender but it did not come with the hydraulic motor!

i cannot find an original motor for sale anywhere so ive been trying to look at what i can use instead.

apparently the pto output on the lt230 transfer box will be doing the engine speed when in fourth gear, is this correct?...therefor even faster in 5th gear!

the dowty pump kicks out just over 36L/min @ 1500 RPM. so in fourth or fifth gear with the engine doing perhaps 2000prm, the pump is going to be kicking out over 48L/min just in fourth gear!...ARE YOU SILL FOLLOWING?

i have the superwinch manual and the motor size is 27cc/rev. this size motor with 48L/min going though it will be hammering round at (if my calculations are correct) 1777 RPM. now thats very very fast and i cannot seem to find a motor of similar size that will put up with those speeds.

now i know what some people are thinking, no way will the winch motor be going that fast! but is does kinda make sence as the superwinch has a 48:1 ratio input, so flat out the drum on the winch is going to be doing around 37 RPM. which seems about right to me.

SO THEN...HAS ANYONE GOT AN IDEA OF WHAT MOTOR I CAN USE, OR DOES ANYONE HAVE THE MOTOR I NEED TO GO ON MY WINCH??? ANY ADVICE OR CORRECTIONS TO MY RESEARCH AND CALCULATIONS IS WELCOME!

The probelm is finding one on it's own - I have this set up that includes a H14 hydraulic motor:

Hydraulicwinchkit3.jpg

But breaking it up probably ruins my chance of selling it all.

Well what you have there is a great starting point for someone to fit any regular hydro (milemarker, red, etc) to a truck and be 100% reliable. The HPI motor would be surplus to requirements.

On the off chance you do decide to split, I have a friend who would take your hand off for the valve block and remote lever!!

well my friend is very interested, and if I was flash42 I'd go for it :) as you have the complete shaft and mount bracket which will defiantly be needed and will be harder to get hold of than the motor!!

You could then use the cash to upgrade the motor on the milemarker, that baby will fly then :)

• 10 months later...

The probelm is finding one on it's own - I have this set up that includes a H14 hydraulic motor:

Hydraulicwinchkit3.jpg

But breaking it up probably ruins my chance of selling it all.

Hello sorry to bring this back up again but in that picture what is the bottom left item with one hydraulic pipe going to it, has any one got a flow diagram for that winch set up?

That's the automatic rev raiser or ARR (no idea what it's real name is :) ) From memory it's T'd into the main feed by the valve block. When the valve is opened the winch creates some resistance and the extra pressure then forces the piston down in the ARR and raises the rev's.

yes you can, contact superwinch, there really helpful. But if your after a new cable make sure your sitting down when you ask for the price :wacko: if it's sticking I'd check the resistance isn't in the valve block first before condemning the cable

No not learning mee to suck eggs, hydraulics is new to me, has been sat for couple of years in a container so could be vavle block sticking, mine has no levers on the block just the cable, a port in from pump, two ports out to the motor, a return to the tank and a small pipe fitting, which I haven't worked out yet what its for, pritty sure I have a small pipe fitting on the motor aswell, not sure what thats for either :$

Boyt sounds like you only have a single spool on your valve block then, there should be some way of fitting a lever to it. If you have the HPI motor it has 3 fittings, 2 main 1/2' (I think) and a much smaller 1/8 (maybe). The smaller fitting is a built in pressure relief valve. This needs to go back to the tank.

Fridge, if your after a rev raiser, I have just dug one out of the shed to sell. If your planning on fitting the 525/H14 and having the valve block living in the passenger wing and an external spool lever as the designers intended. The rev raiser is well worth it.

Ruuman your a star, I will blank the small hose from the valve block, and have a look at the cable, looking at it it looks like a handle could be bolted on the valve check, finished fitting the pto the weekend, bit of a job on a disco, had to cut quite abit of the floor away and make a handle, but all is working now, just got to make the winch fit and pump it in, what gears to people use these winchs in? What sort of speed to they pull, regards andy

No probs boyt, I spent ages getting my system to the point I was happy with it, it's nice to share the knowledge.

Instead of blanking off the small valve block union, consider fitting a pressure gauge of around 250bar, this is nice for trouble shooting and also seeing how hard the winch is working.

Also depending on where the winch came from the the pressure relief valves were sometimes set much lower for cable pulling operations or I have been told. So if you fit a gauge you can quickly reset the pressure to where it needs to be (190bar off the top of my head) PRV is usually mounted in the valve block, but sometimes in the pump too.

Good idea on the gauge, removed the cable today, not seized, the shaft is abit sticky, are the seals for this ready avaible? Ifso will remove the shaft and clean with new seals, will look at getting a gauge, as there is 3 pipes for the pump, one must be pressure relief, but there's no external adjustment?

No idea on seals, will depend on the make and model of the valve block and such. best get in contact with a hydraulic dealer with that one.

Hang on, pump has 3 unions?? or do you mean the motor??? any chance you can upload some pics of your various bits and bobs? makes life a bit easier

Most motors on hydraulic tools for agricultural and construction equipment have a leak line that takes care of excess oil on the motor. This should go directly to the tank and is a very good thing. I've actually blown a motor once due to leak line not being fitted.

This said I can't say if that's the case with your motor. My winch motor has none.

I've seen on pumps with three ports as well. That's when they are able to work as pump or motor. So when in a pump application the third port is blocked.

Most hydraulics bits are industry standard, so any hydraulics shop should be able to supply seals and bits or equivalent performance motors/pumps etc., a lot of manufacturers have cross-reference tables on their websites / in their catalogues. Can take a bit of googling but most things are findable.

Should it be of use I've also got this lot of hydrualic motors/pumps/valves kicking round in my shed, going for scrap: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=70197