Tolls in France. Class 1 Toll for a Defender ?

tweetyduck

Yep it is 2mtr or 3.5 ton. The problems come at night as many smaller exit booths are fully auto. Big price hike to. About £150 north to south one way. Everyone that thinks road tolls are a great alternative to ved are living in a dream or travel nowhere and therefore should sell there pointless car and get the bus ;-)

Edit; it might have been 2.5 mtr I shall have to look!

Just found a defender spec on Internet and it says 2076mm for standard hardtop. If this is correct then it is indeed class 2. Unlucky, especially if you add a 2" lift which is quite common. Take some fat mates with you.

when you go the the booth they take the measurement from the bit at the front which is a couple of of inches shorted than the back!! I have got away with class one have a 2" lift and a roof rack, like with most things a friendly smile and remembering your manners goes along way...

I'm sure you are right but i suspect in this cash short pool we are all swimming in that someone somewhere has pushed some buttons as I have only ever had a problem on my last trip and never before. I also witnessed for the first time a man out with a measuring stick. Now that must say something as I would be surprised if it was off his own back, someone is pushing it!

queues of defenders deflating tyres on one side and pumping them up on the other........:lol:

Looks like we only have a bit of toll road anyhow. We're off on the scenic routes most of the way. I can do without the +100 Euro toll each way. We might use the convenient bits so i'll report back.

Where are you going?

We do UK -> Italy and back quite a lot (wife's Italian), but tend to go across to Dunkirk then Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria (or Germany, Switzerland*, Austria) to Italy. Not only do you avoid the French péage but you also get a very cheap tank of fuel in Luxembourg. Obviously if you're going to France or Spain/Portugal that's not going to help!

Andy

* - sometimes even Germany, Switzerland, Lichtenstein, Switzerland, Austria for the sake of it :D

Just don't get suckered into the Swiss stupid road tax.

I did try suggesting to the Swiss border guard that we were in a Land Rover and really had no inclination to use their motorways (which was actually true) so we really didn't need a motorway vignette but they wouldn't waiver - "Sie müssen eine Vignette!" ;-)

To be fair though it's about £25 for a year, which you can easily spend in a day at the péage in France.

• 4 weeks later...

Had no issues on the west side of France or in any other country. The Auto booths on the East side of France came up as Class 2 on two occasions. Went to the auto pay and pressed the HELP button and said "class un" repeatedly until they changed the price. At first they though we didn't know how to pay but they soon got the message even with my carp french.

So they do come up as Class 2 and the Lorry 80Kmph speed cameras flash you if your going over 80 even if the car speed is 90. They must also use height and think you're a lorry over 3.5 tonne.