converting to cab and open tub - advice request

Hi all

I am slowly ploughing through jobs on the 90 ready for MOT. ( talk about 1 step forward 2 back )

When i first picked up the 90 i had intended to try a grab a single cab type 90 but none about at time so ended up with a van type which has had quite a few mods done on it like 2" lift, upgraded suspension, front winch, Disco 200Tdi, etc.

However once i started to get into it a bit deeper ( my 1st land rover), i started finding lots of snagging jobs..nothing major yet(and fingers crossed not in the near future ) but a lot of small stuff that is very time consuming etc and soon adds up on costs.

The more i get into it the more i think i would still like to do a conversion to a cab. The main problem i have come up against is that one of the previous owners has cut out the rear bulkhead ( and no strengthening fitted since!! ) so it's not just a case of popping a cab top on i have to find either a rear bulkhead and refit that or an open tub with the bulkhead in place.

I have seen a few tubs on fleabay but not sure if all are compatable ( my 90 is a Q plate so no confirmed dates on anything ). I recently saw a nice looking rear cab bottom but not sure if it needs a special tub as it is curved at the back edges and may be too new for what i want to do. Link to item number here

( http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330523318180&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_588wt_907 )

Ultimately i would like to be in a position to swap between the two ( Utility and Cab ) as requirements dictate.

Has anyone done this type of conversion and is it fairly simple or am i missing something and getting into a can of worms?

I also thought that if i did do this then it would also give me chance to get access right into the chassis & axles and sort them out at the same time.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

cheers

Kev

As far as I'm aware 90 rear tubs haven't altered dimensionally since 1984, but things on them like filler locations changed, and some later ones had no bulkhead by design. The rest is fairly simple to swap over (lights, fittings, door hinges etc.) Mounting to chassis is the same as well I believe. Row of bolts along the rear, and some across the front to the chassis and seatbox. If your 90 has a rear tank then you'll be looking for a Td5 tub, if it has an under-seat tank then you'll want a pre-Td5 tub. The earlier ones had thicker and stronger panels.

And truck cab roofs are fetching silly money at the moment for some reason. It seems to be the fashion....

As far as I'm aware 90 rear tubs haven't altered dimensionally since 1984, but things on them like filler locations changed, and some later ones had no bulkhead by design. The rest is fairly simple to swap over (lights, fittings, door hinges etc.) Mounting to chassis is the same as well I believe. Row of bolts along the rear, and some across the front to the chassis and seatbox. If your 90 has a rear tank then you'll be looking for a Td5 tub, if it has an under-seat tank then you'll want a pre-Td5 tub. The earlier ones had thicker and stronger panels.

And truck cab roofs are fetching silly money at the moment for some reason. It seems to be the fashion....

Hi Retro

I should have put in on details the tank is under the drivers seat area so pre-TD5 i would say.

As far as the bulkhead goes the whole interior is covered by chequer plate style rubber mat all the way up to the roof line so i'm not sure whether the bulkhead was ever there, just assumed that it was removed to accomodate two Ricaro bucket seats which i would also like to remove and put back to normal seats. ( again seats are unbelievably expensive even for some that looks like scrap to me!!

Keeping one eye of places like fleabay but as you said prices for cabs are silly at the minute but a few tubs are coming up now at cheap-ish prices and may be worth picking up in meantime.

There does not appear to be any breakers close to me and if i go further afield that also tags on further expense getting there and back before the cost of parts.

Money has gone a bit tight due to no work since Xmas!! ( not expecting that one!! :( ) so no major rush but if i see a part at right price then i would pick it up if possible for future use....sounds vaguely familiar statement!!! :D

you could always do what i did when i swapped from van back to truck cab and put a wanted ad asking if anybody wants a swap,

i ended up with a straight swap from my van back to the truck cab i have now.

worth a try

ben

you could always do what i did when i swapped from van back to truck cab and put a wanted ad asking if anybody wants a swap,

i ended up with a straight swap from my van back to the truck cab i have now.

worth a try

ben

Hi Ben

Ideally i would like to have the option to change between the two setups as at times i can see the need for a van type setup for camping/overnight stays in the 90 and other times the open back would be more suitable for deer stalking etc.

As my current tub does not have a rear bulkhead i guess my first move would be to locate a replacement in good condition, so have to keep my eyes open. :unsure:

thanks for the feedback guys. :)

Kev