Which tyres will fit ?

lansalot

Hi folks

Advice please? These rims (I believe they're Wolf rims?) are currently shod with 235x85x16. What size could I go to on these rims, anyone know? Looking for Insa Turbos and the next size up is 265x85x16 I think.. Too wide for the rims?

Thanks

A

post-4925-0-71134100-1300818867_thumb.jpg

post-4925-0-30473100-1300818883_thumb.jpg

Hi folks

Advice please? These rims (I believe they're Wolf rims?) are currently shod with 235x85x16. What size could I go to on these rims, anyone know? Looking for Insa Turbos and the next size up is 265x85x16 I think.. Too wide for the rims?

Thanks

A

They look like wolfs, which are 6.5 inch wide. Minimum rim width for 265s is 7 inch unfortunately.

Regards, Diff.

Perfect, thanks for the help mate. 235s it is (again) then. Cheers :)

The widest tyres you can fit to 6.5 inch rims are 255 tyres. A very popular size in the Landrover fraternity is 255/85x16. These are just over 33 inches tall as opposed to approx 32 inch for the 235/85x16 tyres.

Unfortunately, these sizes are only made by a couple of companies - BF Goodrich and Cooper. Which needless to say are high quality tyres with a price to match.

Regards, Diff.

I dont see why you couldnt put 265's on there, i've seen 265's in 5.5" landy rims with no ill effects.

You can physically fit them and you may not notice any adverse effects, BUT, the tyre manufacturers give minimum and maximum rim widths for each tyre size. If you do not fit the tyres on the correct rim width it can sometimes result in poor handling and faster tyre wear. Most tyre fitting centres worth their salt will refuse to fit the tyres on incorrect rim widths. If you do choose to use tyres on a rim that is not recommended by the tyre manufacture, you may have problems in the event of an accident claim.

Regards, Diff.

I dont see why you couldnt put 265's on there, i've seen 265's in 5.5" landy rims with no ill effects.

Unfortunately there are often ill effects, BFG 265/75R16 on 5.5" Defender steels eventually go like this :o

post-33-0-68322800-1300875864_thumb.jpg

The sidewalls are pulled in too far by the narrow rim so the outer of the tyre carcass is stretched and eventually splits right around the circumference. Not a good thing. I've seen a fair few. And as above if this went bang and you ended up in a ditch I think the insurers would be 'interested'. I would if I was an insurer anyway.