V8 Serpentine Front Ends bits Problem - HELP !

HELP

Being doing some more 5.2 JED V8 Cleaning, particularly the front and timing cover and pulley etc.

Now the problem.

The timing cover off the Eales is "Thinner" and a different design to the nornmal 3.9 serp front end :blink:

Also the pulley, the EALES JED V8 Pulley is far closer to the engine block than the stad Serp unit, I just happen to have a 3.9 serp landed on my drive today (don't we all :lol: ) and the entire front end of this is as per the "Taller" Pulley and Taller Timing vase

I have checked and both water pumps seem the same, and thus the problem

When I put the JED Timing cover on (nneds to go on as it has mods inside and pipework for cooler etc) and the Short pullet and water pump these will line up, but the alternator and PAS pump defo will not

I cannot work out what the thin front end is off and thus the parts hunt - can anyone help ?

Pics below are the issue

post-22-0-64904400-1300896238_thumb.jpg post-22-0-58628500-1300896253_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-07736300-1300896276_thumb.jpg post-22-0-91528900-1300896305_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-61648800-1300896323_thumb.jpg

Heres a Std "Tall" serp asembly :blink:

post-22-0-45465200-1300896343_thumb.jpg post-22-0-11089800-1300896373_thumb.jpg

HEEEEEEEEEEELP :) Engine variant year (there is 2003 on the thin cover ??? - its 01 02 03 and a dot punch on 03 )

any links pics, or info would be good to reduce the screaming and nashing of teeth :)

??

Nige

Nigella,

I am looking at that and am pretty sure it is an earlier P38 4.0 cover, (maybe 4.6, I am only going by my referencing the build pics from my own V8, which is not currently outside my house...), the oil filter points straight down, which in turn means it will get clouted by the diff pumpkin -I assume you are going to be running a remote oil filter anyways :)

I just checked outside in the box of bits which was my old V8 (vee-belt) and the timing cover is pretty much what you pictured as the 'deep' one, just less a dizzy hole. I think this must be a difference between the 3.9 and 4.0 serp engines....

The crank pulley on mine is also very short, I think they must have had issues squeezing it into the P38 engine bay....

You may be rigyt I was thinking along these lines

BUT

a P38 has a HUGE big Pulley on the crank, this is 3.9 Deep serp typey, and has an Aliminum V belt pulley on it

Very Werid, and very confusing, I am familiar ish with 4.6 Serp (as had one on the bench for 10 months as a

prototype for Megasquirty Brackets, and the cover looks sort of rightish in my mind, but the pulley

on the crank is nothing like a 4.6 P38 type :blink:

Wondering if this is THOR, but I am really not to up on these units ?

I fink another call to John cometh - Eales not White :P

Nige

Nige... How deep is the "shallow" one ?

I'll nip over and measure up the front on my 4.0 engine before the week is out to see if it's related to that engine... Can also see what crank pulley is like ! (Assuming I have one in the box ! ) LOL

Neil

Does it matter what size the bottom pulley is? Maybe the Ali one is because the engine was designed to run at high revs a lot, and therefore a smaller pulley = lower ancillary speed.....?

No. I am beginning to think smaller pulley is just done so as to do my F head in as I buy. own it

and try to put it back together :rofl:

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh

Nige :)

Having spoken to every one I know 'V8 Guru' wise I think this may be a 4.0 thor mixed with 4.6 and 3.9 bits

with a homemade / specially made alloy pulley etc, vs the 5.2 monster, I think defo a call to Mr E tomm

is the order of the day

Thanks all,

I am really p*****d about this, .......unsure if the this is 'eales finest' at work or

more likley someone has "Got" at it since build, and its a plain nasty bodgeroo of the highest order ...

if so then someone has fiddled with the engine - as anything JED is defo not nasty bodgey or horrible ?

Ho Hum and whoppee doo - phone call tomm me thinks to sort this ........

Nige :)

Long conversation

Basically remember this was bought in boxes, and has been through a few hands, and was incomplete.

The bottom line was that there were some nasty / modified bit with the boxes, which didn't look like Johns work, plus

modified bits = looked like Johns but not the mods....

The tinming cover cleaned up like new, so guessed that this with the oil remote and catch tank

plumbing etc was a JED part of the engine - erm "Wrong". After chatting with John it transpires that John uses the standard

3.9 Serpentine front end on an iceberg block, with a Motronic chain and gears etc, what I have is a 4.0 front cover (dizzyless)

which has been horribly bodged to fit along with some 4.6 parts, some nasty, some lost, the Pulley is a modified 4.0 short pulley,

with a small belt pulley which as he pointed out will run the water pump skower = poor coling, and the larger crank puley

of a std 3.9 serp will aid cooling. 4.0 4.6 and 3.9 serp oddly use the same water pump, but as the timing cover

is narrower theres the issue with belts lining up.

No, I can't just get the extra missing bits as he advised with the special inlet and trumpet base

(Not a Modded LR Unit a Physically bigger JED cast unit) and the special JED Cast Plenum it wil cause all sorts of issues, and hence the bits

problem.

So, I have the front en of a 3.9 from the genousity of Mr Gibbon here who did a swapsees for some megasquirt bits, so cleaning has

begun again with a vengence. The Std 3.9 timing cover needs to go off to John, as this is extensively modified ny him, but not a fortune

and this casing will then be used with new oil pump gears inside

All in all there was me thinking "WTF is this stuff and why does it feel like a bodge ?" but I was determined to keep the engine

as (I thought) John had intended, and then I find that no its been brutalized in a horrible bodgey way, all to save some nose length

He has come across this before, appaerntly there is a racer frame that the serp units he builds are just that bit too long, and hence this

mismatched bodgerooo

Back on track now, have valley gaskets (Compo) and proper genuine seals for the ends, and 2 x new gears and chain for the timing,

plus some other bits, hope to get the 3.9 casing up to john next week for the mods, which take about 2 weeks turnaround,

so can do some more in the meantime now

Obvioulsy the old casing that was on the engine when built has disappeared yonks ago, this ^^^ above is always the issue with Tea Chest

Engine purchases :)

Nige