How often should I change my 300Tdi oil now?

JimAttrill

My engine has now done 292 000 kms with no problems. Burns very little oil, maybe 200cc/1000 kms. I have done over 50 oil changes on this engine which is maybe why it has lasted so well with changes at mostly 5000kms (3000miles). I have always used the best oil available which used to be SG then SH and now SI. Expensive, but you can see the results especially as I still have the original turbo after 16 years.

I always used to use the 'worst' diesel, 500ppm sulphur but it is becoming hard to get. So I mostly have to fill up with 50ppm stuff. Sulphur was good for the injector pump but bad for the oil, turning it acidic.

So should I carry on with the 5000km oil changes or take it a bit longer?

(I know in the UK your diesel now has almost no sulphur)

Hi Jim, I travel to work and back in the Pretoria/Johannesburg peak traffice every day, and do longer trips during the day. My own rule is simple: every 5000 km or 3 months if the 5000 km does not roll up within 3 months. i also change the oil filter every time, and use 50 ppm. when the tank is empty I add 200ml Sasol 2 stroke oil on 89 liters of Sasol, Shell or Engen 50 ppm.

Previous owner cooked the engine, I replaced the head, but later lost the turbo and had excessive blowby, so opted for a new turbo and full engine re-built. The re-built has now done 22 000 km and loosening up quite nice, oil consumption negligable, power good, diesel consumption improvin. I use Shell Rotonda 4X.

Hi Thys, one comment: you are changing your oil filter too often. I had a big chat from a GUD guy and he said that the filters are most efficient from 5-10k. So I change the filter every 10k. I also use 2-stroke oil with the 50ppm stuff!

Have to go look in the garage to see which oil I use lately - used to use Shell Rimula X CH-4. Yellow can now I use black can Shell Rimula RX3 also a CH-4. I must have spent a fortune on oil in the last 15 years, but the engine still goes ok.

Only bit of oil advice I can give is to use Redline MTL in the R380. Very expensive, but it is a one-off buy as it never needs to be changed and gives a terrific gear change. A type 5 synthetic, no additives to wear out, doesn't change with temperature etc. Luckily my R380 has no leaks. In the other boxes I use ordinary old GL5 EP80/90. As my transfer box leaks a bit I don't change the oil but just top it up!

I was hoping you would say that I should now change my oil at 10k....

I now travel only about 10k each way to work (Joburg North near Whatafraud LR) to Bryanston (near Sandton LR) and hardly ever get into 5th gear...

Shell Rimula is a very good engine oil. Its very hard to get up in europe unless you can buy it in bulk. I was told to use it by an ex transport manager that had over 200 trucks on the road and some of them regularly hit one million miles before being sold. He also never had to order a engine rebuild that was attributed to engine wear.

I buy it by the barrel but change it roughly every 5-7k km, but this occasionally ends up as 10k km with new filters every time.

H

In the USA there is a website bobistheoilguy.com where they basically say that synthetic oil can last a very long time, based on oil analyses. Change every 30 kmiles but change the filter every 10 kmiles. Many people use Mobil 1, Amsoil or Rotella T synthetic for extended oil changes. For a diesel you need an oil with soot handling additives and fuel dilution may be an issue. Thats where the oil analysis can help the picture.

I also use Redline MTL and love it in my transmission also. Here it is about $12 US a quart.

Also, if you are concerned about low sulphur, you can add some veg oil or biodiesel to each tankful. This will improve the lubricity that was removed with the sulphur. 2-3% will hurt nothing, even in the coldest of weather though you probably don't have to think about that.

Steve

Jim,

I note I used some weird name brands for the oil I use. Here are the correct descriptions:

Engine: Shell Rimula R4

Diffs & TC: Caltex Thurban GL5 ED

Auto box: Caltex Texamatic 1322S Dextron III

I was told not to use full synthetic oil, so I keep with the normal stuff.

Thanks for the oil filter tip, I will do the filter at the 10 000 km oil services.

Enjoy the weekend.