rear winch used as a center??

trt1617

been looking through a few posts on here and there is mention of people useing a rear winch to do center pulls as well any one got and pics of this set up i could have a look at??? :D

thinking of king cabbing my truck and fitting my now front winch to the rear as im on the look out for a new front one and was wondering if it could be mounted and used as both as i would see a rear being more useful but a center could be handy to have on occasions.

any one have any idea how powerful a winch would have to be to pull a 90 back on its wheels from having a lay down???? :unsure:

been looking through a few posts on here and there is mention of people useing a rear winch to do center pulls as well any one got and pics of this set up i could have a look at??? :D

thinking of king cabbing my truck and fitting my now front winch to the rear as im on the look out for a new front one and was wondering if it could be mounted and used as both as i would see a rear being more useful but a center could be handy to have on occasions.

any one have any idea how powerful a winch would have to be to pull a 90 back on its wheels from having a lay down???? :unsure:

8 or 9000lbs should pull most landies uprigh.

A 5000lbs winch would pull most upright, but it depends how deep and sticky the mud is. I have an EP9 for a centre winch and isn't struggling to cope with my lardy 90...

As for using the rear winch as a centre, try running the line to a snatch block and back to the cage. We used that technique several times before biting the bullet and fitting a centre winch too... Start each event with a couple of small strops attached to the cage, or weld on a couple of extra hook points...

Hth

Adrian

This is how I've done mine:

189643_10150425134345648_512620647_17680949_2988182_n.jpg

Basically i've layed the winch (GOODWINCH TDS9.5) on its side and made a loop for the cage. and it works really well! used it alot during our first LRS challenge. plus keep its down to only 2 winches and in a lower class.

I do have a fair lead you can pass a hook through which i got off a mate who had it custom made! seen below.

183000_10150410499765648_512620647_17508971_8096527_n.jpg

Have fun! ;)

This is how I've done mine:

189643_10150425134345648_512620647_17680949_2988182_n.jpg

Basically i've layed the winch (GOODWINCH TDS9.5) on its side and made a loop for the cage. and it works really well! used it alot during our first LRS challenge. plus keep its down to only 2 winches and in a lower class.

I do have a fair lead you can pass a hook through which i got off a mate who had it custom made! seen below.

183000_10150410499765648_512620647_17508971_8096527_n.jpg

Have fun! ;)

so you can pass the rope through what ever way ya wanna pull the truck?

this looks like the way forward :)

just need to find out if its still as usefull if the top fairlead is mounted a bit further back than yours as i want to king cab mine to keep some room inside :D

so you can pass the rope through what ever way ya wanna pull the truck?

this looks like the way forward :)

just need to find out if its still as usefull if the top fairlead is mounted a bit further back than yours as i want to king cab mine to keep some room inside :D

I've used my rear through the cage on my van side and found it useful in stopping falling over and bringing you closer to punches.

So on a king cab it should be fine.

I've used my rear through the cage on my van side and found it useful in stopping falling over and bringing you closer to punches.

So on a king cab it should be fine.

Exactly how did ya pass it through the cage? as in where did it exit from the truck?

Thanks