turning difficulty, dif lock maybe?

Ben, you say you'r enow only getting one and a half clicks on the transfer box arm, have you tried doing it with one of the wheels in the air, so you can jiggle the wheel whilst trying to select either low or high range etc, as it may not be engaging, hence the lever not moving as far as it should.............

Right finally back at a time when I could have a look. Stripped off the gearbox covers and found the transfer box linkages are ok, well apart from the missing pivotting clevis on the difflock linkage but i knew about that and stuck a bolt through for now while testing in the yard.

So did the gears in high and did the gears in low nothing but whirring. no drive

Difflock on and difflock off, did the gears and nothing but whirring again. no drive

Jacked up each wheel individually and tested each one difflock on and off.

Each turned the propshaft and the difflock engaged properly and locked the wheels out.

I noticed two things

When doing the front wheels the front diff is very noisy, bit like a rumbling wheel bearing noise. And much noisier than the rear.

Also the difflock lever, (by which I mean the actual bit on top of the transfer box) is definitely not going as far over into the off position as it did.

Is this indicative that something has jammed up inside? I guess the next step is to drain the transfer box and the gearbox and see what comes out?

Anyone getting any ideas yet?

I really want to get my truck back on the road asap, I really miss it, and the TD5 I have on hire seems to be doing lower mpg too.

Just for a bit of closure on this.

Have taken out the gearbox and transfer box etc.

Gearbox mainshaft as smooth as you like.

But also a good collection of water in the transfer box.

Been an absolute swine with floor bolts etc,

Took the opportunity and replaced the rear main seal behind the flywheel, new 130 clutch fitted up. Hopefully new box in over the next couple of evenings.

Fun and Games!

• 2 weeks later...

May have been better going down than up, but the tech thing above is useful.

I'm having a right old fight getting the box back in this evening. Goes so far, I can get 2 nuts started on the studs at the top but then wont go in at the bottom, any ideas? Have I put the clutch in backwards or something, or just being a bit gentle?