300tdi Auto to 200tdi Auto

PITBULL

I'm building a 100" defender out of a 300tdi Auto but want to fit a 200tdi into it and have a couple of Q's

First I have a 200 auto conversion plate so that's not a problem but can everything else needed be taken off the 300?

Second can I run the setup without props to make sure it changes through the gears ok as I would like to get it all setup with just the bulkhead fitted and don't think the police would like me driving it down the road just chassis, bulkhead and box to sit on lol

Thanks

I thought the engine mounts are the same on discovery's? Anyway that don't matter as I will be mounting engine as far back as possible just needed to know if the auto behaves the same will no load and weather I can take everything u need off the 300 for the 2?

Also I have heard of people fitting torque converter off a v8? What's the benefit of this?

Thanks again

V8 torque converter is much bigger, see Ashcroft's website for info. It will effectively make the flywheel much heavier for one thing but I suspect they are trying to get it to cope better with an upgraded engine. The gearbox is what controls the change points so I can see it would work. I know that swapping the 4.0 V8 TC for the 4.6 one is meant to stop the engine revving as much, but LR themselves stopped fitting the biggest one and I don't know if it was a cost issue or they decided that bigger isn't always best.

As for running without the props on, you wouldn't feel any changes at all so unless you connect a pressure guage I doubt you would know what's going on. The changes are very soft on a good gearbox unless you have a lot of kickdown.