300 tdi camshaft problems

I have a Land rover 90 300tdi 1995 (150k on the clock) I have a tapping noise on the engine when cold, the noise albeit annoying is not effecting the vehicle performance. I believe that its a worn camshaft and or camshaft follower.

I have trawled many of the land rover forums and blogs but to date haven't found anything written about camshaft problems on the 300 tdi engine. I have tried all the usual remedies, valve adjustment, wear pads on valve tops, vacuum pump.

when the engine is on idle run or under load the noise is not audible. Has anyone had the same problem of can offer advice on the next steps.

cheers

Blown head gasket at the back of the block can sound just like a worn tappet. Put your finger on the block at the back where it is slightly longer than the head, so forms a kind of ledge - you'll probably feel it if it is blowing. Might have to move some of the pipes out of the way.

Nigel