2000 TD5 Non starter

rock_on_skeeter

Hi Guys

Its been awhile since ive last been on here but I need your help once acain.

At christmass my TD5 decided it wanted to throw all its teddys out first all the injectors were out of tolerence on the diagnostics so had them changed, then on the way home it managed to hydraulic itself on its own fuel. Turns out this is the common fault of the high pressure line in the head cracking to the flame face and filling the cylinder with fuel, so it had a new cylinder head fitted, injector harness and the ECU drained of oil and cleaned.

It's ran fine since done at least another 1000 miles but last friday when on my way home after a good 1 hour drive on the dual carage way I went round an island and it dident seem to accelerate like it usualy does. at first I thaught it was stuck in top gear so pulled over,

The engine then cut out and hasent ran since, will crank over fine, fuel pump can be heard running and making pressure, there is no sign of oil in the ECU or harness.

But when cranking the Self levaling lights for the air suspension come on.

• 3 weeks later...

Slight change in symptoms

now it will start and run for a bit, but when you let of the accelerator on over run the engine lugs down and stalls, after Ive managed to wrestle it to the side of the road it will not start up again, have to do the fuel priming sequence of key on and depress the accelerator a few times, once I have dine this for about 15 mins it will cough amd splutter back in to life. when it is priming you can hear air beeing pumped in the engine bay.

So does any one know how i am getting air into the system ?? as far as I can see a pressurised system that dosent leak fuel shuldent be drawing in air.

TD5 Disco's had a fuel line abrasion problem and there was a recall because of it. Abrasion of the fuel lines on the chassis were the problem. Usually shown by fuel leak at the rear end, but depending on which pipe gets worn through - it's possible that air is sucked in - requiring auto-bleed to get the engine to run, but badly.

Les.

Is it *air* in the system, or exhaust-gases?

My TD5 Defender failed earlier this year when the copper injector-seals leaked and compression-gases found their way back into the fuel-rail. This in turn trashed the fuel-pump before we worked out what the actual problem was.

If you can hear unusual whining/gurgling/bubbling sounds from the fuel-tank/pump when turning the key to the glow-lug-position [before starting the engine] then you could have failed injector-seals.