Rear Spring Options

disco_al

Advice time chaps.....

I fitted a +2" lift kit to the Disco last Friday, but have a small problem. I think i ordered the wrong rear springs :ph34r: . Basically, I ordered the +2" off road springs, rather than the +2" HD lift springs, and as a consequence my back end is a little soft :ph34r: :ph34r: and bouncy.......so muc so that with my tool box, trolley jack and a few parts in there, it sits too low.

I've spotted these but from what i can make out in there adverts, they are Britpart springs - which i'm not really keen on fitting.

My only other option is to go back to the standard HD Blue Bearmach ones that i took off, which are 10mm shorter.

You wouldn't be able to avoid the softness, but by adding a 1" spacer below the spring seat you might get the height you wanted... only make sure you've considered the impact of that on the handling/brake lines etc.

I bought some 'heavy duty' standard height springs and they were softer than the standard ones, I suppose I did the same as you as I often find the bump stops being hit when loaded up and crossing speed bumps/kerbs and so on.

If you buy spacers you'd be better off with your old HD springs rather than spacing saggy soft springs, they will handle better when loaded and if you ever empty it the back end won't shoot up like a dragster.

When fitting spacers yo need to check you don't risk getting coil-bound, that can shatter springs and damage the structure of the car.