How much diff 'slop' is normal........???

My 300 90 has developed an odd noise, it only makes it when you go from on throttle to off, i've just swapped the rear diff for a 4pin one hoping that that would cure it, but it hasn't..... i have checked the front diff, and there is a fair few degrees of twist on the prop before it takes up drive, i can understand that due to the number of links in the axle... however, i also have about 10-15degrees of twist between the front and rear prop in the transfer case,..... which i'm not convinced is right.... can anyone advise how much twist is acceptable in front or centre diffs...

Cheers.

Twist = Wear - end of story

But, you'll get wear in any diif thats used, the key for a decent worn diff is oil changes and

cleanliness within the casing. Often the seals wear and let oil out, as can the diff gasket, oil out = ability for

water / S***te in.

Extreme wear is often as a result of lack of mauinatenance, head bearing don't get lube, so wear and then pinion wobbles,

tail bearings and carrir bearing can follow, all the wobbling then can lead to the pinion moving on the Crown wheel, and then the bashlash

is increaaed through wear and so on and full circle and = BANG

Twist has no limit, but odd noises or big clunks on and off power, whines and grumbles from a diff means that one of the bearings / backlash

settings etc above is outside acceptable linits, contuinue and the wear can increase quickly to a point that the CWP becomes scrap as goves form

and the cleaances cannot be reclaimed

Steve (Off Road Toad) Ex KAM Diff builder will I am sure be along to add his knowledge and thoughts

but the above gives you a rough and ready guide, what I know about diffs doesn't fil a postage stamp compared to him (git) but there

is much nmonsense sprouted on diff and setup, its NOT a DIY job, and it IS a skill, and 18 months watching "His Toadship" taught me -

Don't even think of DIYing it unless you know what the F you are doing :rofl:

It may not be your duif, check prop UJs and output bearing on Tbox (grab prop and try to move up / down at TBOX end)

and check Prop slider moves too and prop is in correct phase

Nige

Thanks Nige, props are fine, and as supplied..... pretty much new....

font diff has slight oil weap, so a little play in bearing no doubt, but this noise has started suddenly, and not gadual..... its just bugging me....

I have oine thing to try tomorrow, but after that it'll be a case of waiting for something to break, then i might have more of an idea what it is...LOL..!

It is normal for the front axle to have more play than the rear due to many connected splined components. 15 degress is excessive, There could be numerous places allowing this movement but i would suspect its an overall build up ie cv splines to drive flange, differential sun and planet gears and crown wheel and pinion backlash. One area that often causes clunks and big play is the diff centre carrier where the cross pin goes through, this ovals out over time and allows the planet gears to travel sideways sharply before slack is taken up. this will result in a dead diff quite quickly and there is nothing you can do to remedy this, it requires a new carrier. Other ares could potentially be the gear/transfer box.

Steve

thanks steve, oil levels should be fine, no huge leaks and oils were all changed at xmas while the body was off. One thing i might try is driving in diff lock on a local field, if it stops the noise it kind of says its centre diff. I'd rather it was the front though. Lol. Cheers.