Brake Caliper Help

zardos

My 1992 Defender has a bisc brake rear axle which I'm told would not be a standard fitment for this age of vehicle so a previous owner probably changed it.

The question is what was it changed to? I'm told it could be a Defender 300tdi item, a disco 1 or a range rover classic item and that there are two different sizes of caliper bolt spacings.

My parts supplier says the difference are minor

E.g

SMC500240 for ABS & Non ABS axle nos 28S44172 & 32S2119 onwards

or

RTC5890 for ABS & Non ABS up to Rear axle nos 28S44171 & 32S2118

What is the difference between these parts?

My parts supplier has given me SMC500240 and it fits but the bolts are slightly looser is the caliper than the original.

Do I have the right part?

Can SMC500240 fit an axle designed for RTC5890 but not the other way around? or is it easy to tell if you have the wrong part?

Thanks

I had a brain wave and I think I can answer my own question, so for completeness I'll post my own answer.

I also have a original 1996 Disco 1 and as the changeover between the 2 parts happened 93/94 then this should have the later SMC500240 caliper.

So I removed a bolt from one of it's rear caliper and it is bigger and won't fit my 90's axle or current caliper but it fits the new SMC500240 caliper without any play in it.

So if your caliper bolt is 11mm at the shoulder then it is the earlier caliper RTC5890 for ABS & Non ABS up to Rear axle nos 28S44171 & 32S2118

and if it is 12mm then it is the later SMC500240 for ABS & Non ABS axle nos 28S44172 & 32S2119 onwards

Easiest way to tell is the half-shafts. Big mushroom head shafts = early RRC/Disco 1 imperial axle. Small headed slim shafts (24-spline) = Disco 1 300Tdi on or Defender 90 300Tdi on metric axle. The caliper bolts are different on each, one is M12 the other 1/2" UNF I think.

This assumes the stubs/hubs etc. haven't been changed about!

Easiest way to tell is the half-shafts. Big mushroom head shafts = early RRC/Disco 1 imperial axle. Small headed slim shafts (24-spline) = Disco 1 300Tdi on or Defender 90 300Tdi on metric axle. The caliper bolts are different on each, one is M12 the other 1/2" UNF I think.

This assumes the stubs/hubs etc. haven't been changed about!

Thanks, err the whole internals have been changed, the shafts have been changed from 10 spline to 24 spline with big mushroom heads.

But the mushroom heads and bolt sizes match up to early RRC/Disco 1 imperial axle.

Crieky, sounds like a bit of a missmash. 24 spline guts with 10 spline outers.

AFAIK the callipersd are the same casting but as you've found the later ones had metric bolt with larger 12mm shanks.

Halfshafts are a big gieveaway, but also look for ARB brackets, ABS cut-outs (above the hub) diff oil filler hole and the location of the hub oil seals, are they inside the stub axle or outside it? Big mushroom 24 splined shafts are Disco/RRC with an oil seal journal on them (ABS style). If these are on to "imperial" hubs then the half shaft securing bolts will be loose in the holes as earlier half shafts used smaller bolts (these fit into a 9/16 propshaft tool).

When new the axle would haqvce had a serieal number stamped on the top face to the left of the diff hump. Good luck finding that!