hd springs

mudmagnet

hi, as i am going on hols soon and my disco will be fully loaded with 2 adults 5 kids and all the luggage i was wondering if its time to change to hd springs

the car is a 300 tdi and compared to my other disco it looks like its sagged a bit

ive heard abour police spec springs for RRC but will these be ok for a disco

what springs do any of you recommend i dont want 2" lift springs

cheers

I fitted a full set of RRC police spec springs to my disco. Only the rears have a different spring rate to standard disco ones. The police spec springs have a spring rate of 170 lbs/inch, where as standard disco springs have a dual rate of 155/215 lbs/inch; so they are between the 2 dual rates. Ride wise they are great when coupled with good dampers, but I have not had it fully loaded yet. Height wise, it brought mine up by about 20mm but it was sitting low already so I guess you will only gain 10mm over standard at absolute best, so hardly a lift.

Useful resourch on springs here:

http://members.shaw.ca/jbarge/springinfo.html

standard defender front springs are actually classed as disco H/D fronts by landrover themselves. defender rear springs are also good HD option for discos too. 225lbs/inch i believe, so should firm it up nicely.

I fitted my standard defender springs on my old 200tdi disco and it lifted it about an inch and it was noticeably firmer.

edited to add as Q-rover so rightly pointed out - defender 90 springs......

standard defender front springs are actually classed as disco H/D fronts by landrover themselves. defender rear springs are also good HD option for discos too. 225lbs/inch i believe, so should firm it up nicely.

I fitted my standard defender springs on my old 200tdi disco and it lifted it about an inch and it was noticeably firmer.

You should be a bit more specific. Only D90 rear springs can be used.

D110 and D130 rear springs have a larger diameter coil so wont fit.

Don't Bearmach to HS standard height springs?

Niamh

Yes, they do... part numbers 2105 and 2106 on page 68 of their catalogue. However, despite them having a higher rating (195lbs) I still found them a little bit soft. Just changed mine to the 295lb (40mm lift) and the ride is much better. To be honest, I did also fit slightly larger bump stops which is what I was hitting, but they're only ½" longer than standard.

Not sure where you're based, but if you want to try the Bearmach springs I have a full front/rear set (although only the rears are available until I take the fronts off the car) :rolleyes: