fitting the raised intake

Finally got around to fitting the raised intake. The problem was my 90 was a petrol originaly before the 200tdi was fitted I and didn’t have the vent hole in the wing and so I hadn’t got any of the inner ducting needed to connect the intake to the air cleaner.

I thought it was going to be very close so I moved the position up from just below the cold air duct for the heater to alongside the heaterbox.

I wanted some 63mm steel tube and mild steel sheet to make an adapter plate to mate up with the inner face of the wing and sandwich either face of the outer wing.

Got the sheet but couldn’t find any tube on the way out of work caught sight of an old parking barrier post that someone had bent and so I had removed it a couple of weeks ago..whipped out the tape measure, 63mm perfect.

Discd the galve off the edge to be welded and welded it in the whole in the plate fitted it and it works a treat.

I love salvaging stuff so I am doubly chuffed

Good progress this week end not long now. ;)

post-13733-0-07651200-1305491497_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...

Haven't bought the southdowns snorkel yet and I havent got the pipe from the back of the airbox. Trying to find out what I need. Will obviously be making it watertight and throwing silicone around it. On another note, I have gearbox, crankcase,diff, transferbox breather, overdrive breather and fuel tank breather, is there an easy way to get them up a snorkel? Or do I just tie them to the back of it?

Yes a silicon sandwich with plenty and then cranked up with bolts.

63mm od steel tube fitted (just) into the air box aperture and also into the inner plate I made for the mod snorkel as a male adapter then finished off with more silicon and good old jubilee clips, but not the perforated kind.

The engine runs better or seems to than before but that could just be my imagination.

J

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-Gearbox-Axle-Breathers-Ultimate-Kit-/180324104992?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item29fc277b20#ht_1910wt_954

I had one of these kits to consolidate all my breather hoses. I got mine from the same bloke but all of the 90 degree bends were stainless steel instead. It's a good kit and there is enough hose provided to do almost 2 90s! It also looks neat with only 1 larger hose going up the snorkel.

Have a look at gwyn lewis also, they make a good kit including a timing belt cover plate.

Harry

Thanks, for the info, I already had the manifold etc, it was how to run the one pipe from it I was interested in. Spoke to southdowns who suggested just running it up the back which I have duly done. Very nice snorkel and although an hour of swearing to cut it in I am very happy with the results.