TM Transmissions

need4speed

I know its not really what you asked, but I've always been impressed with the service from Andy at AW Transmissions. He is also reasonably priced, and a really top bloke. Always been on hand when I and others I know have needed advice.

The R380 in my 1990 90 300TDI conversion came from TM.

Inevitably, it took quite a while from the time the box was delivered to me actually installing it and filling with oil, and even longer before I was actually able to try it out. When I filled it with oil it started leaking slowly (about one drip per day) from under the plate which covers the oil pump so I took that off and made a new gasket for it which cured the leak completely.

Since getting the vehicle back on the road I've done about 2000 miles in it with no problems (at least none related to the gear box). It's notchy, particularly when cold, but it's certainly no worse than any other R380 (or LT77 for that matter) which I've driven. I'll be replacing the oil (MTF94) in it on Sunday after a long run to Somerset (from Derbyshire) and back at the weekend so it will be interesting to see what state the old oil is in when it comes out.

Would I buy from them again? Yes, I think so. They are significantly cheaper than most of the alternatives and the service I got in terms of the financial side of the transaction and the delivery was fine. I traded in my LT77 and got a reasonable figure off the R380 as a result, and there was no quibble about the LT77 being completely covered in oil from the leaking rear crank seal on the 2.5TD when they came to collect it and drop off the R380.

HTH

Nick.