Getting yourself a Cheap strong 4 pin differential Unit

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

I've been wondering about the possibilities of a p38 centre fitting into a long nose case, so i googled it and here i am! and it's been done! Well Done!

How have you got on with these?

So it's basically, machine away the flutes, reduce the OD and machine where the bearing sits? How much did you have to change where the bearing sits?

Thanks

Alex

Oh if it was that simples :D

Made a number of these now

The Long nose casing can vary hugely some need a VAST amount of grinding, others less, the late "Flat" carrier cap

seem to be the ones needing less.

You also need to machine the carrier bearing journals inboard, and the adjusters ned to be thinned too, all in all its a pig of work

BUT you get a cheaop unit and of all the ones we have made, pegged and unpeged some in Big BHP racers NONE have failed. In fact I have never ever seen a P38 4 pin broken, normally its the pinion bearings / carrier bearing CW&P that blow / wear

Hope this helps

Nige

Thanks for the reply,

By carrier bearing journals i presume you mean the two parts the bearings press on to? Is there a standard amount you have to take off or is it different for each casing?

And you mean the threaded nuts that adjust backlash? is that because it's a wider unit going in the casing?

I guess i'll find these things out as i go along but it's good to see it's been done and any tips are much appreciated.

Thanks

Alex

• 4 weeks later...

Just had a quick measure up. it looks to me that the journal on the back side of the crown wheel needs lengthening by about 4.5mm is that sounding right? Just waiting on a vernier height gauge and i can get some more accurate measurements!

• 10 years later...
On 7/21/2023 at 2:16 AM, Hybrid_From_Hell said:

yes

thank you boss, although mechanic didn't agree to insert the 4 pin diff that i got it from donor japanese imported 2002 model with very low millage and diff like new.

anyway i would replace it in my 98 4.6 autobiography front diff and see the difference.

thanks a lot