Glazing Series doors/doortops

ejparrott

Evenin chaps'

I've been round the forums, checked the tech archive and used the Google site search facility, cant seem to find the answer I'm looking for.

My 109 SW (1972) is having new second row doors, and will need a new windscreen frame soon, so I've got a bit of glazing work to do.

For the second row doors, I've bought all new channels and screws and stuff, apart from one piece which only Craddocks list at a ridiculous price, which seems to be a strip thats fitted under the channels but wasnt present on the old doors!!

I'm fairly confident of fitting up the new bits, its just a reversal of the removal to be fair, but if anyone can offer help, hints or tips with this Dumdum stuff I'd be grateful!!

I've had a look again this afternoon at the old door which is still intact, and I think I have a plan....

I think what I'll do is pop the fixed glass in the hole, and then clamp it in place with the angle bracket at the front and drill the screw/rivet holes, and then drop in the top and bottom runners and drill the holes for fixing those. I'll then remove everything, run a small sausage of DumDum along the three sides of the glass and press it into the door, followed by another sausage of DumDum and then the angled plate. I'll fir the top and bottom runner on more DumDum with some between the runners and the glass too, and then put the screws/rivets in to hold it all up tight until it'sets'. Does this sound like a good plan?

Would I be best off using screws or pop rivets do you think? The old door has the angle bracket rivetted in and the runners screwed, but I had to affect a repair to the 88's channel a while back and I just dropped in a small rivet, although my rivet gun was slightly too big and bent the channel out....

I have done a few on the series 3 vehicles and will be doing another of mine shortly and I only put dumdum on the fixed piece of glass (mine are SWB)I never put it around the runners as water needs to drain out through the bottom channels of the frame. My advice is only dumdum fixed pieces of glass and windscreens and I have never had a problem in 20+ years.

The DumDum is only used on the fixed panes, not on the sliding ones.

I have only ever done front door tops, but I imagine they're built up in exactly the same way. Start by laying out all the strips and channel in the aperture, making careful note of what goes where. Drill a first screw hole and fit the screw before drilling the others in each piece so that the parts don't move about while drilling. Remember to mark out the position of the window lock on the bottom channel (SIII) . Once the parts are all drilled for their screws, remove them. Drill and file the bottom channel's lock hole. Then give all the drilled holes and the channel ends a generous application of waxoil. Do the same to the inside of the door top frame and apply waxoil to the trough at the bottom of the window aperture.

Fit the fixed pane and it aluminium strips, followed by the bottom channel section. Once screwed down, fit the sliding pane with the top channel already sitting onto the glass and the aluminium top strips already in place. Once that is all screwed down, fit the rear channel and strips.

Try to get some brass screws in place of the original steel ones - they will come out far more easily when you next need to replace the channels, but if you do the waxing thoroughly, everything should last a fair while and steel screws will be OK if they are given a brushing over with waxoil too once fitted.

• 2 weeks later...

The DumDum is only used on the fixed panes, not on the sliding ones.

Thanks, I did realise that you cant use dumdum on the sliding panes, only the fixed. Other people may not have though.

Need to get some waxoil to spray in all the holes. I'm not fitting the SIII push up locks, fitting earlier twist locks at top.

I'm ready to reglaze my door top now it has been sprayed red :P Has anyone found the plastic channel cheaplt at a DIY store or similar? I've found aluminium channel but not plastic.

I'm ready to reglaze my door top now it has been sprayed red :P Has anyone found the plastic channel cheaplt at a DIY store or similar? I've found aluminium channel but not plastic.

The SIII Club sells lengths of purpose made black plastic channel and they usually have a barrel full of the stuff at the big shows - I'm sure you could pick some up at Billing or Stoneleigh.

The SIII Club sells lengths of purpose made black plastic channel and they usually have a barrel full of the stuff at the big shows - I'm sure you could pick some up at Billing or Stoneleigh.

The S111 club will be at Billing but i don't think they will be at Stoneleigh

• 1 month later...

Well I finally got the holes drilled for the strip that secures the front of the fixed pane...needed a second pair of hands to hold the glass while I did it. I'm hoping to get a decent stretch of time where I can just crack on and get it finished. I'll take photos as I go!