tuning disco 200tdi

hi all could some one please help in regards of tuning my disco engine plase, its in my 90 and would like to tune it just to give me alittle bit of power up the hills, ive tried finfing some info through the search but cant find any.

also would changing the transfer box to the dico one help with top end speed to

cheers all steve

Unfortunatley, our tech archive thread suffers since all the pics have dissapeared and the formatting has gone to pot making it quite difficult to read and understand properly!

These threads are probably better and clearer and contain some good links:

http://www.lro.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=44813&start=0

followed by this one:

http://www.lro.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=62459&hilit=performance

are probably the best - Vulcan Bomber on LRO spent a lot of time explaining tuning to me in them and its quite a good discussion. The second one contains a link to very good pdf (with pics) that explains the pump setup and how to alter it. I would say that you really need at least a boost guage and probably an EGT guage (i dont have the latter, but havent tweaked mine too much).

Next step for me is to get the head ported if/when it comes off, but its running really well at the mo, so no need currently.

Unfortunatley, our tech archive thread suffers since all the pics have dissapeared and the formatting has gone to pot making it quite difficult to read and understand properly!

These threads are probably better and clearer and contain some good links:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=44813&start=0

followed by this one:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=62459&hilit=performance

are probably the best - Vulcan Bomber on LRO spent a lot of time explaining tuning to me in them and its quite a good discussion. The second one contains a link to very good pdf (with pics) that explains the pump setup and how to alter it. I would say that you really need at least a boost guage and probably an EGT guage (i dont have the latter, but havent tweaked mine too much).

Next step for me is to get the head ported if/when it comes off, but its running really well at the mo, so no need currently.

cheers for that i will have a little read and give it ago, should boost gauge be in bar or psi and only want alittle tweak not a massive speed monster lol

should boost gauge be in bar or psi and only want alittle tweak not a massive speed monster lol

Doesnt matter - is what you set it to that matters. Mine is in bar and my 200tdi runs at 1 bar max - I could go a tiny bit higher, but much more and i get the impression that you dont gain much - its all detailed in the other threads. IIRC 300tdi should be 1bar standard and 200tdi should be 0.8 bar standard.

You may get away with just rotating the boost diaphragm and thus the cone beneath it a little, but i would still check the boost as it will alter with fuelling adjustments.

The pdf i mentioned above is attached to this post now (the link to its source is in one of the threads). The threads just show the process and give a good discussion on the different points.

tdi pump tuning.pdf

Forgot to add. Before you fiddel with fuelling etc at all, give it a good service (all filters/oils), check the tappets and the timing. No point 'tuning' something that is not in a good state initially. Also consider how many miles the injectors have done and whether they may need a re-con.

Forgot to add. Before you fiddel with fuelling etc at all, give it a good service (all filters/oils), check the tappets and the timing. No point 'tuning' something that is not in a good state initially. Also consider how many miles the injectors have done and whether they may need a re-con.

have just done all filters and oil but will do the cam belt as its due and put a electric fan on at the same time and have just noticed my turbo pipe has a split so change that to first and go from there but will change the transfer box to just to help it along