Earth for 2.25petrol

Jon W

Right I finally have some bolts to put the starter back into my series. Have the positive wire on the back of the starter, thats nice and easy. However I have a earth which is attached to the gearbox crossmember but not to the engine yet. Now I presume this came off the bolts which hold the starter motor in place, as someone had stolen the starter motor so guess it was undone then. Can anyone confirm where this goes? Does it go bolt earth then starter. or bolt starter then earth between the starter and the bell housing?

Also are there any other wires which go to the starter as there doesn't appear to be.

Hope to get it turning over at least in the next few days and make sure it isn't seized, then I will worry about the wiring of the coil etc and the combination of plug leads

Thanks

Jon

As long as you complete the earth circuit, then it's not that critical where the wires go. Battery to chassis, chassis to on or near the starter motor will be fine. Could also be battery to gearbox, gearbox to chassis.

Positive wire on the starter - the thick one from the battery and retained by a 1/2" nut? If you have a seperate solenoid, than that's right.

Les.

Yep got her turning over, squirted all the oil and water out of the bores right over my neighbours drive, oh bugger, have tried to clean it up but think it will take more driveway cleaner, but need to be careful as its tarmac.

Now just to figure out the wiring for the coil and plug leads, and hopefully she will move under her own power for the first time in 3 years.

Jon

The engine and gear boxes are electrically one unit, so it doesn't matter where the earth is attached to the combined lump. If the earth strap fails or becomes resistant, the hand brake linkages carry the current too. Coil sprung vehicles run into trouble there - when the normal earth becomes resistive, the hand brake mechanism again becomes the main conduit, but the smaller cable is not up to the task and the teflon coating melts, jamming the cable in its sleeve. It's always good to have two earths to prevent the hand brake mechanism from carrying electrical loads - neither system was designed with that in mind.