Sniff test.

bob86

Got myself a sniff test kit because I think the coolant's dropping on my 300tdi Disco. Having never used one before can some one who has please tell me if this is a positive for exhaust gasses.

post-1027-0-31045000-1309977029_thumb.jpg

Cheers gents. Looks like i'll just keep an eye on it and see if I really am loosing water. Its been idling a bit lumpy for a while and for the past week my cheapo chinese exhaust gas temp guage is showing hotter temps so i'm getting paranoid about things.

Put fluid in the device - up to the level mark. Start the engine, remove the coolant filler cap, then press the tester into the cap hole. Squeeze the rubber bulb and release repeatedly. As you do this - air from the header tank is drawn through the blue fluid. Any exhaust gas/diesel vapour in the air will cause the fluid to change colour. Diesel fuel/exhaust gas, will make the fluid turn green. Petrol will make it go yellow.

Les.

Yeah its got instructions how to use it but a colour swatch type thing would have been nice for dummys like me. Like you say it looks greener but could still be blue if that makes sense. Anyway I tried it again this morning and it turned almost Land Rover green. The header still had water in but the plug in the thermostat housing took half a gallon! :(

Thankyou everyone for all your help.