bodged stainless exhaust

Went to a tyre fitters today which also supplies custom made exhausts, and to cut a long story short on noticing my exhaust they said it 's a terrible job, he went on to say it was totally the wrong diameter for a 2.5 tdi. he said it's only 50mm tapering to 45 mm and it must be choking my engine effecting power and fuel consumption and it's small wonder has not knackered the turbo, he as advised me to go back to them which i have now arranged with the original fitter to do, i won't mention which company fit it till i her what they have to say, but they are national.

The exhaust has not just been fitted it was fitted 5 years ago, but the doubt has been put in my head about it now and it wasn't cheap.

Any thoughts on this.

Thanks

the standard exahust on a 200TDI is 52mm anyway, it would not have ruined the turbo, whilst it will be nicer to have a stainless exhaust made by them, and will probably do slightly more to the gallon and be a bit more powerfull but i doubt there is anything really wrong with your exhaust, part of me thinks that they want to try and get some money out of you that you dont really need to spend.

personally id love a nice stainless exhaust though :)

then a 52mm eggsource, with 2 silencers is standard size, and that must have less freeflowing gases than the one you have?

it should be fine, where does it taper down to 45mm? is it possible to get rid of this part, if so then great, if not then i doubt it would make a too much difference anyway and it wont wreck your turbo espesh if its running standard boost pressures and not trying to get rid of extra gasses

2mm variation is nothing and certainly won't knacker anything at all. If you had a 52mm system on there - you wouldn't notice the difference. I think the guy is just trying to sell you something you don't really need..................dry.gif

Les.