Electrical Problems

Checked with Si, it is wired as I said. Only a text so I didn't ask why.

The relay has 4 contacts:

30 - HD cable to Red top

86 - Coil Earth

85 - Coil +ve

87 - HD cable to Numax

Am I correct in saying there should not be any continuity between the pin 86 and 87? (engine off?).

There is also no continuity between 85 and 86? which I was expecting to have continuity?

I think the problem has been found... I think something might have melted... :lol:

IMG_0518.jpg

IMG_0517.jpg

Yes that contact is moved in the case, and no its not loose! Something got a little warm!

Checked with Si, it is wired as I said. Only a text so I didn't ask why.

The relay has 4 contacts:

30 - HD cable to Red top

86 - Coil Earth

85 - Coil +ve

87 - HD cable to Numax

Am I correct in saying there should not be any continuity between the pin 86 and 87? (engine off?).

There is also no continuity between 85 and 86? which I was expecting to have continuity?

With the relay still wired up you can't check for continuity between 86 and 87 as effectively you are just connecting accross the numax battery terminals. You need to disconnect the wiring and then there will/should be no continuity. HTH

BTW how are you checking for continuity? test meter on a resistance setting or something else? There should be a resistance between 85 and 86 but I'm not sure what the coils resistance rating should be.

I'm using my meter on the beep for continuity setting.

Earth disconnected from the relay, I get a beep from 86 to 87, and 86 to 30? but only when 85 is connected with the wire? :huh:

I get no beep between 85 and 86? surely it should show s complete circuit across there?

Hi Ross :)

Between 85 and 86 there is a coil of wire that forms the electro magnet that when energised operates the relay, the resistance of this coil of wire will most likely be too much for the continuity tester to register as there being continuity. Does your meter have a resistance setting? if it does measure the resistance between 85 and 86 it'll probably be around 100 ohms, if it's a lot more then the coil has probably burnt out.

I think your other results are erroneous. My reasoning is as follows.....

A continuity tester works by getting a current to flow between the two test points, it shouldn't be used while any other power is present in the circuit under test.

You have two batteries connected that have differing voltages and are commoned via their earth cables so there will be a voltage difference across 30 and 87, this will interfere with the continuity tester when testing these points.

The simplest way to test the relay would be to disconnect the HD cables from 30 and 87 and to connect the continuity tester across 30 and 87. Then switch the relay by connecting 85 an 86 across one of the batteries, the relay should click and the tester should beep, when you disconnect from the battery the beep will stop, anything else your relay is buggered.

I hope that helps, sorry if I've waffled a bit ... feel free to ignore :)

Bit about testing the relay... I've done an experient since I posted...

Engine off = no voltage on the orange wire that drives the coil.

Engine on = 12v on the wire and when connecting up you get a spark and you can hear the relay click.

I meant to double check if I had 12v the coming to the earth terminal... but I was called to say it was 6pm... andI was going to be late so all was dropped'!

I'm going to have a chat to XEng Si tomorrow :).

Thanks all I will be having a look when I get back from Billing tomorrow.

Well that sounds like the coil is fine as it wouldn't click otherwise, the only thing that could be buggered about the relay is that even though it's switching it might not actually be connecting 30 to 87, this could be because the contacts are burnt/knackered or because where the relay has melted the contacts have moved and are in the wrong place now ...

The more I think about it the more I convince myself it's the melted connection causing the contacts to no longer meet that is causing the problem...

Anyway enjoy Billing tomorrow :)

BTW does anything stand out in your mind that might have caused the relay to melt? Did something happen shortly before this whole problem started?

The only reason I ask is that you probably don't want to melt the replacement relay as well, that would probably be a tad annoying :)

Well on Simons advice I am going to make sure both batteries are fully charged before I plug it in. He also suggested connecting the batteries without the relay and in case they are still different, as the wires can take it.

I really can't think what might have caused it... I don't have a winch or anything with such a current draw. Not driven at night for a while... so I've not used my roof lights either. :unsure:

You replaced your main/starter battery recently didn't you? there is a chance that when it died it could have caused it I suppose. The aux battery would be continually trying to charge the buggered main battery. I don't know if that would create enough heat but it might have.... how soon after replacing the battery did this start?

I'm like the spanish inquistion aren't I? :blink:

I replaced the yellow top which was in the position the red top is in (for some reason they were the wrong way round, but I might just double check)...

I'm wondering if the new battery has then lasted all of this time without being charged? :unsure:. In which case, I wonder if my Numax is now FUBAR :(. The green 'light' isn't showing even though I have charged it...

EDIT: I checked the Voltage of each battery this evening, and I'm going to check them in the morning.