Rattling drivers window

91 military 90 with drivers side sliding window rattling. Searched and found some info but would like confirmation on how to cure.

How do I get the glass out, pull out the top felt channel and that allows the glass to lift up and out?

I believe I can use this http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1649-window-channel.aspx instead of trying to find the original glazing felt, but with the glass being 5mm will the felt fit and slide along the outer channel? I guess that is the way to replace it, is to push the new felt along the inside of the outer channel with the glass in place.

Thanks…

The glazing channel is generally held in with self tappers which can be a pig to remove and then the glass comes out with the channel - replacement is the reverse but IIRC you will have to cut a slot for the window lock - its a fiddle to get a drill in there for the new self tappers. The self tappers need screwing well in so that the glass rests on the felt rather than the head of the screws -Its a fiddle but do-able.....

The glazing channel is generally held in with self tappers which can be a pig to remove and then the glass comes out with the channel - replacement is the reverse but IIRC you will have to cut a slot for the window lock - its a fiddle to get a drill in there for the new self tappers. The self tappers need screwing well in so that the glass rests on the felt rather than the head of the screws -Its a fiddle but do-able.....

Need to do the same. I have a pile of felt from wollies, plus some metal felt channels from paddocks... just havent got round to swapping them yet. But plan of action was to take the top of the door off and disassemble the window frames. well, thats not much of a plan, so any photos and hints and tips when you do yours would be most welcome! :)

I've rebuilt these a couple of times, though not for a while so a little rusty!

It is a bit of a fiddle but it CAN be done without mauling the frames / cutting holes etc. Study the attached PDF and note that the inner lower face and lower rails that the windows slide on are all one piece! (I missed this on first attempt, prying bits from other bits they are part of doesnt work..)

- IIRC you can do this on the veh, however if top removed then the glass cant drop out on the deck so I remove my tops first.

- Drill out the 4x pop rivets holding the latch mechanism and fiddle / withdraw the latch.

- Drill out the pop rivet at either end of the channel (part 3, rivets part 4)

- Remove the self tappers that retain the lower channel (part 3) to the main frame

- Remove the lower channel from main frame (may need judicious use of pry bars) and the windows will come with it (attached on rails that then slide off)

Really that's the difficult part done. In terms of assembly I suggest using the felt supplied by LR (its only a couple of quid and is the right stuff!) I also strongly recommend replacing the small white plastic runner blocks retained on the base of the window runners (highlighted, part 8, MTC6221) since the wearing out of these causes the windows to stick and gall the runners; again, genuine runner blocks cost fcuk all and it's an arrse to strip down - get genuine, not some Britpart bit.

Make sure you spend time to correctly and squarely install the felt - to avoid it rucking up.

Did I say the difficult part was done? Erm... reassembly is really the reverse of removal, but is a fiddle again.

Jim

EDIT: Helpfuly I am foiled in attaching the pictures! Anyone able to suggest how pse let me know and will post.

Jim,

that’s a big help as its nothing like I imagined so would have wasted a lot of time. If you can get a picture up that would be helfull or I’ll pm you my email address and you could attach a pdf to an e-mail. I have attached a picture of a pdf I have that with any luck is the same as your reference pdf. If its the same you needn't trouble yourself any more as it now starts to make sense. Its a job for next month so plenty of time to organise things.

thanks, Derek

post-2553-0-28674700-1311099791_thumb.jpg

Jim,

that’s a big help as its nothing like I imagined so would have wasted a lot of time. If you can get a picture up that would be helfull or I’ll pm you my email address and you could attach a pdf to an e-mail. I have attached a picture of a pdf I have that with any luck is the same as your reference pdf. If its the same you needn't trouble yourself any more as it now starts to make sense. Its a job for next month so plenty of time to organise things.

thanks, Derek

Derek,

No problem, glad to be of help. As it happens your pdf is similar but not quite the same! (mines from a later parts book by looking at the style) The setup is identical, however for all of my drawing part numbers you need to subtract '1' - ie the channel I describe as part 3 is, on your pdf, part 2 - odd but there we go!

It's worth considering what needs sealing with silicon and what does not (its arrse getting a wet knee two days later!), also avoid applying too much else it makes it a bugger to pull apart in the future!

Good luck!

Jim

EDIT: Helpfuly I am foiled in attaching the pictures! Anyone able to suggest how pse let me know and will post.

If you use the full editor to post a reply there should be an attachments section under the main text box you type in ... just choose your picture and press the attach file button.