Discovery 2 td5 transfer box oddity!

Skanny

Hi Folks,

I have removed this gearbox and transfer box setup from a manual 2001 Discovery 2 Td5.

I have never seen the bit circled in yellow before on any of the D2 Transfer boxes that we have removed.

Its a 41D prefix box with Diff lock sliggot present. I notice it has fresh gasket sealer round the rear most casing on the box and also under thie raised circular casting on the top of the box.

Any ideas??????

med_gallery_8661_1204_43931.jpg

med_gallery_8661_1204_1742.jpg

Ooooooh a rairity then!

Interlock solonoid????? is that a kind of electronic engaging diff lock?

I dont appear to have any additional plugs so im assuming that there is nothing inside there???

Thanks

Colin

Apparently it does....

DISCOVERY GEARBOX INTERLOCK ASSEMBLY

Discovery vehicles with automatic transmissions are equipped with a transfer gearbox interlock

solenoid which prevents the driver from moving the transfer gearbox lever from high to low or

from low to high unless the automatic transmission is in neutral. In any event, gear changes

should always be made at less than 5 mph (7 kph).

Shown below is the transfer gearbox interlock and related components used on Discoverys with

automatic transmissions through 2003 model year.

Beginning with the 2004 model year, the range select interlock solenoid is moved to the shift

lever housing.

.... I assume if you have a manual gear box you just have to .... remember :)

Im sure there are no wires coming from that end of things and i have seen hundreds of D2 transfer boxes , from early through to late, manuals and autos and I have never seen one like this before, the instant i saw it i thought 'what the hell is that!'

Thanks for the link, I too am at a loss as to how it ended up here.

Maybe in the early days when the pound was stronger it may have been more cost effective to import a transfer box from the states than to by one locally?????

The wires may be under that black bracket, it may also have a neutral switch hidden under there. Have a look in this random Land Rover doc I found on the web http://file.seekpart.com/keywordpdf/2011/3/22/20113228267973.pdf

I do wonder how a NAS or Japanese spec box ended up here though.

They all came from here in the first place.

If the production line was running short of boxes for UK units and US spec ones were available they may well have transfered US units to UK units. Omitting to wire in the eletrics.

Apparently it does....

DISCOVERY GEARBOX INTERLOCK ASSEMBLY

Discovery vehicles with automatic transmissions are equipped with a transfer gearbox interlock

solenoid which prevents the driver from moving the transfer gearbox lever from high to low or

from low to high unless the automatic transmission is in neutral. In any event, gear changes

should always be made at less than 5 mph (7 kph).

Hi guys

I have an ex Japan disco and I've always put the auto box into neutral (cos the instruction manual tells ya too!) before moving the transfer lever. I can see that as I have some idle time tomorrow, some experimenting may be in order! :D

Yay for weekends :)

Cheers, James NZ