Hitch Height for Towing a Sankey Widetrack Trailer

pfj_defender

Hi,

I've read as many forum posts on here as I can but I still can't find an answer to my question so apologies if it has been previously asked/answered.

I have fitted a Nato hitch to my Defender rear cross member using all the recommended parts but because I have 265/75 R16 tyres fitted this puts the height of the hitch at 24" (measured at the bottom of the inside circumference of the hitch). My ultimate plan is to fit similar modular wheels and the same size tyres to the trailer (for off-road use) but when I collect the trailer this week-end it will have 6.50 x 16 tyres fitted.

Given that the recommended height of the hitch (according to various posts on here and elsewhere) appears to be "between 16" and 18" I'm out by between 6" and 8" which in my simple mind suggest a significant "tail-down" attitude for the Sankey. I could swap my wheels/tyres for another set (if I really had to) which will drop the height by around 3". I know I could also fit a "drop plate" to the rear cross member but I don't have the time or additional funds to do that over the next 3 days.

So, my question is - what height do others tow at? Do other's tow with a similar configuration? Will the trailer tow OK if I have to tow it (empty) in a tail-down configuration?

thanks in advance ... Paul :)

Hi Paul,

My hitch height is the same as the x-member given an inch or two and my Widetrack sits level the MK3 hitch sits lower than the MK2 trailer, I am away at the moment but can measure the exact height on Thursday.

Jason.

My 110 has 265/75/16 fitted and my sankey wide track has 750/16 on it, with the hitch on a adjustable drop plate at the top setting,(which is just below the crossmember) my sankey sits with the rear end up slightly, doesnt seem to affect handling.

Wide track Sankeys generally have their tow ring along their chassis line. The vehicle's hitch should be attached to the rear cross member, not below it. Narrow track Sankeys had their hitches bolted tot he top of their A-frame, so tend to sit nose low when connected to a Land Rover.

• 2 months later...

If anyone lands on this like I did, looking for info, Mk3 wide tracks (disk brake) have their couplings on the centreline of the chassis, earlier ones (drum brake) have it on the top...

Not always the case there are some modified MK3 trailers where the hitch is on the top of the Chassis and the brake cylinder has been move also, I believe this was done to allow them to be towed behind Bedford trucks. Witham's have just sold a load with this type of modified hitch.

Jason.