dry and overheated td5

Hi.

I thought I would check with you guys before I start my repair adventure. My return cable from the intercooler to my extension tank melted and that resulted in my engine running almost dry (the temp dropped to 0, must have missed it raising to red first). I stopped, fixed the cable and filled her up with water again and the temp went back to normal. She run fine for 10 min but after that i got a loud hammering sound that follows the engine revs. She drives fine, and no white smoke. But the noise is super loud and not very nice... Any ideas.

I thought It can be the head gasket has broken between two cylinders (cant see any leak along the sides from the head). Or maybe its all turned a bit skew. I would assume it got overheated but Im not sure what the results may be...

thanks for any tips.

----------------

1999 TD5 defender

It certainly sounds as though the head gasket has gone.

I can't think how just the gasket failing would result in a loud noise though.

What ever it is I wouldn't risk running the engine until you've had it examined.

If the head gasket had blown between cylinders, then you would get smoke - due to the poor compression on the two cylinders. You may be able to identify the location of the noise by putting the end of a large screwdriver to various points on the engine and the other end to your ear. This localises the noise and makes it easier to determine where it's coming from.

Les.

Mainly the cylinder bores and/or pistons. Cylinder head warp/crack. If the pistons were trying to sieze in the bores, then associated stress could then be on small ends and perhaps big ends. Engine oil will keep the crank cooler, so mains and big ends may not be affected.

Les.

Is there any standard stuff I should replace while I still have her opened, except gasket and bolts. I have some week memory of the early td5s having some plastic parts that is replaceable with metal ones...

I had a 300Tdi Disco that overheated while I was speeding down the motorway daydreaming... The sound was horrible, sounded like the big ends had gone and it was knocking like a knocky thing. I got it recovered to a garage who had a listen and told me it was head gasket. They fixed it and the knocking noise was no more.

Ive read somewhere that you should not under any circumstances change the plastic for metal ones on vin 2A-3A 00000 models (ruffly 2002-2003 td5s). Is this true, Ive got a earlier one XA 00000 so It should be fine. Can anyone point me to the right part no? I guess its YLL500040 but im not sure. Its for a 99 TD5 XA

cheers.

Update: So Ive removed the head and the gasket seams perfectly fine on both sides, as does the head itself. Very strange, the question is if its good news or bad? If the everything looks fine, the cylinders is smooth. the head is streight and the gasket is like new (kind of, it left a lot of plastic recidues on the metal, but it not cracked), what the heck has then happended to my td5?

Also the plastic dowel has melted, but that should not effect the engine right?

any guessses? All I know is it overheated (problebly) and then a loud fast hammering noise following the revs.

Ive just removed my oil sump and it seems like its the nr 1 crankshaft bearing that is worn. It is glitching quite a bit. The other ones seems fine thou, but ill change them anyway. Thanks for the tips,and ill let you know how it goes.