3.9 Camshaft change question

duncmc

My 3.9 V8 EFi in my RRC has done 154k miles. Before I got it at 136k it had new valve springs, a decoke and the valves reground. As far as i know though it has not had a new camshaft at all. So I expect to have to do engine work relatively soon, even though it runs ok it is down on power compared to other 3.9's I have had.

My question though is this, am I correct in thinking that the engine has to come out to change the camshaft?

And how easy is it to take the engine out? I am thinking to get a reasonable 2nd hand unit to put in whilst the original is rebuilt.

• 1 year later...
The engine does not have to come out. You have to remove the radiator and unbolt the air-con condenser (not remove) but not undo the air-con pressure lines.

Hi all, I know it's an old thread but I'm in the middle of doing a camshaft change myself. Can anyone tell me how you can move the condenser without disconnecting the pipes and releasing the refrigerant? Is it simply 2 bolts off then lift or lower the condenser with high pressure input and output pipes (top left hand side of condenser as you look at the bonnet from the front) still connected? I haven't tried yet but it looks rather stiff to me and I really don't fancy trying to release the gas and undo the pipes. Also, I assume I have to take off the front grill to get at it?

Can anyone whose done this before please advise, bit of an SOS as I'm doing the top end as well so everything in bits with a deadline to finish for Monday!

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help.

Hi all, I know it's an old thread but I'm in the middle of doing a camshaft change myself. Can anyone tell me how you can move the condenser without disconnecting the pipes and releasing the refrigerant? Is it simply 2 bolts off then lift or lower the condenser with high pressure input and output pipes (top left hand side of condenser as you look at the bonnet from the front) still connected? I haven't tried yet but it looks rather stiff to me and I really don't fancy trying to release the gas and undo the pipes. Also, I assume I have to take off the front grill to get at it?

Can anyone whose done this before please advise, bit of an SOS as I'm doing the top end as well so everything in bits with a deadline to finish for Monday!

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help.

Hi.

Yes you will have to take the front grille out to get at the condenser fixings. If you are planning on changing the camshaft with the engine still in you will have to take the camshaft out through the grille area. So the radiator needs taking out anyway, (followed by the condenser). If you do the radiator first you might then have enough length and flex on the condenser pipes to swing it into the engine bay and out of the way. Mine was empty anyway due to it leaking.