Serpentine engine V's Non Serpentine

gkm24

I am sure that this question has probably been asked before but here goes.

I have a 1998 Disco V8 GS with a cracked block(Serpentine type). I have another V8 engine which is NOT a Serpentine engine. Is it possible to swap the crank etc from the Serpentine into the other block to effectively make it a Serpentine? I am going to Check/replace the mains and Big Ends in the other engine anyway and replace the cam for a TorqueMax so it will not be a major headache. Any help appreciated.

:P

OK

3.9s were made both non serp on early ones and then serp later ones, serp is a better unit and also some early V 3.9s are not cross bolted blocks#

4.0s are ALL Serp, as are 4.6s, the 4.0 is really a 3.9, and all serps have the longer crank.

You can't put a non serp crank into a serp block and then use the serp front end, the crank is too

short and I have seen nasty horrible bodges to get around this - but never a good one :(

SERP cranks can be swapped into a non serp block, and can then use either the serp or non serp front end, if

you use the serp crank and a V belt front end then you'll need a spacer unit (get from RPI <shudder> ) to allow the V Belt pulley

o bolt up onto the longer crank. a 4.0 & 4.6 timing cover / front end assemble is different to a 3.9 serp front end, do NOT

try to mix and match :( (ask me how I know this :angry: ) but either fits the serp type crank and the pulleys are dished in /

out so bolt end is the same Dims

Lastly its really not a great idea tio swap cranks from one block to another without having it line bore checked, cranks really are

matched to the blocks, just as the Mains end caps are, yes peeps will say you can swap a crank "No Problem" but I would pay a few quid and have it

all checked

Hope this helps, anoraks had a nice outing, maybe tommorow I'll take it to the beach :P

Nige "The Anorak Admin :P )