Sick defender

Hi Guys,

new to this site. I wonder if someone could give me a considered opinion on the following symptons:

I have a 1999 Defender TD5

I have just returned from France. Whilst traveling the TD5 developed a strange whirring noise. It sounds like a dry bearing. I greased all of the appropriate nipples around the props and uj's, i have checked all of the oil levels.

It sounds/feels like it is coming from the vicinity of the transfer box. It cannot be heard when the clutch is pushed down. It can be heard when the props are being driven but is particularly noisy when at high speed you take your foot from the accelerator and let it slow down naturally.

I have checked the wheel hub bearings which are all cool. I thought about the thrust bearing but I believe this is only engaged when the clutch is pushed ???

Any advice/remedy would be most appreciated

many thanks

Won't be the thrust bearing as you're right when you say it is only engaged when you press the clutch pedal and wouldn't be affected by road speed. They normally rattle like an old tin can when they're going or scream when you press the pedal.

It could be a prop UJ because the noise stops when you engage the clutch. They're fairly easy to test from under the vehicle and very easy and cheap to replace if you have a big vice.

Could you have got some dust/crud stuck in the transmission brake? I get it sometimes especially if been off roading in water etc, my short term fix is to gently apply the brake when I am driving this seems to clear the crud out. I know that the long term fix is an X-brake and will get round to it one day when funds permit!!

Jason.

Thanks guys. I have a rear diff leak as well now but their is sufficient oil in so I don't think it is that. I was off roading a few weeks ago in sand so i can check out the brake theory.

I think I am going to change all my oils and see if that helps.

Re the prop UJ. How do you "Test it". I have been undedr there and given them some physical movement. All SEEMS ok??

Thanks for the info so far

Sparky

So if it goes with clutch depressed, does it go with main box in neutral and clutch up? If so, does it go with transfer box in neutral but mainbnox in gear with clutch up? Is it any different in 4th gear? You cn use this technique to gradually involve more and more drivetrain till you see exactly what affects it.

Nigel

Nigel, re your post:

It only happens in drive i.e. clutch up and moving under power. It happens in all gears but can be particularly heard (Because there is less engine noise) when you take your foot off the gas and let it slow down under normal engine breaking !!! Like i have said it's difficult to narrow down because of the general noise that a TD5 makes anyway. It really sounds like something is running dry to me but I cannot see any bearing etc that may cause it. I am concerned that it is from within the transfer box !!!!

cheers