Wiring in gauges...

TobyMellin

Hi Guys

I've just finished fitting my Raptor dash, and I'm in the process of ordering some gauges...Boost, Ammeter and oil pressure

The problem I have is....I'm useless with wiring! :( I wouldn't know which wires to get feeds from etc and would make a huge mess...

Instead of paying some numpty to do it I'd rather pay someone on here and support the LR community, so is anyone on here in the Greater Manchester area able wire some in? I can do the boost as it's simple, but the others need more experienced hands...

Cheers!

Toby ^_^

forget the ammeter [cables for these will be monsters] use a voltmeter instead,

you will need this link to http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=69934

It's not necessary for an ammeter to have large cables as long as you get the right type.

There are two options

1. Remote shunt ammeter where most of the current goes through a low value large wattage resistor situated remotely from the gauge and the rest through the gauge which is in parallel to the shunt, as long as you know the ratio between the resistance of the shunt and the gauge then the gauge can be scaled accordingly.

Note that an ammeter using a shunt will cause a small voltage drop.

2. A hall effect ammeter which has not direct connection to the wire you are measuring the current in, but has a coil around it.

He is a link to build you own linky (but as you say you are useless with wiring it might be beyond you)

Or you could get one of these linky